I just grounded my kids for the most ridiculous reason ever!!!!! Edited
My kids 12 and 6 just got themselves grounded for the most ridiculous reason ever and it earned them 3 weeks of nothing to do in the summer. And the kick in the ass is the fact that my 6 yr old who's bday is actually tomorrow just got her cast off today and no she gets no time to swim again.
I cant believe how ridiculous the simplest things can be so difficult sometimes for them to just own up to their mistakes. lol
So I put lo (2) down for a nap at 12ish, around 1pm I took off upstairs with the laptop threw on netflix and started to dye my hair, while my hair was setting I took a bath, then threw on the shower and rinsed and conditioned etc.....so ok I was gone for an hour and a half in the upstairs bathroom. I do it often leave my kids unattended,
I come downstairs and what do I see????
2 cans of frozen juice left out on the counter completely defrosted. Now I told my dd 12 at lunch time if she wanted to make some juice to go for it, we dont drink it much, but its summer and the kids like it.
Ok not really a huge deal its juice I have more then one container to make two things of juice.
Its what happened when I asked them about it.
No one wants to own up to taking two out and leaving them defrost on the counter. To me it is a waste to have two on the go of the same kind, but not a HUGE deal, but why lie?
I asked a simple question and everyone says it was not them, they never even seen them before 0.o
I dont get it, why do they lie over the most simplist things? I mean no one was gonna get in trouble I was just gonna give a simple reminder on taking responsibility for things and not doing half asked jobs etc....
But apparently they needed a reminder in lying.
So no one owns up at all to the NON important juice thawing on my counter. So I gave them a week of being grounded for lying. (not sure who is the liar) but since no one wants to fess up they both get in trouble.
Hoping one rats on the other, but nope. Then they proceed to whine and complain becuase they got a week, so I warned them that their attitudes will buy them another week, so they yet still went on and on over the first week and yelling at each other to fess up etc...
So in the end they ended up with 3 weeks of being grounded from all of anything fun, plus there lines and essay on why we dont lie.
I just feel like wow all could have been avoided if someone just said OMG mom I forgot about it sorry, and we could have moved on with our lives....
JEEZ some peoples kids. lol
Ok since so many people have issues with the way things are done under my roof and so many other made assumptions, I am going to clear somethings up all at once.
1) I never said I took away my daughters birthday, I only mentioned that she was turning 6 tomorrow (which is now today) We had her party on Tuesday.
2) It definately was not me who took it out and left it out. I never went into my basement at all yesterday, and that is where the freezer is.
3) My 12 yr old is mature enough to watch her sisters and has for a long time. I never said she got her sister to do stuff that will get her in trouble. I said she often got her sister to do struff she is supposed to do. Examples if I ask my 12 yr old to put the garbage out, she will often not want to so she will get her sister to do it, same for doing laundry or feeding pets etc.....NOT getting her to do stuff that will get in trouble. So stop making assumptions.
4) I didnt yell or flip out, I asked a simple question and no one would own up to a minor mistake, That is lying. They both did it together or they both know who did it. I have very few rules in my own but the ones I do have are NO LYING, NO COVERING FOR EACH OTHER no matter how big or small. Its called earning trust.
And normally my kids dont lie (its not often) but they are still kids and sometimes they dont think., This is not a case of I forgot and it wasnt me kind of deal.
5) They didnt get grounded for lying about so simple. They got an essay and lines about lying (something I dish out often) for certain behaviors. It was their actions and attitudes after the fact that got themselves into trouble. A simple OH I forgot about taking the juice out would have been fine. But nope they wanted to lie about it. So there for lying in itself deserves punishment. And lying is not something they really do often.
I dont spank or yell at my kids, we have normal adult conversations, I even talk to my toddler as if she were an adult something I have always done. So to all those saying "Oh your poor kids, they are probably scared cause you flipped out on them" are dead wrong. You dont know me or how I talk to my children. We talk in a civilized manner. But in the end it still does not change the fact that they lied.
And then confessed to their lie about it later that night. And low and behold (just like I knew) they were both guilty in leaving it out to defrost. And I will say it again, ITS NOT ABOUT LEAVING IT OUT, ITS ABOUT THE LIE AND THE WHINING AND COMPLAINING ABOUTTHE PUNISHMENT THEY GOT FOR LYING. That is how theygot grounded.