Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is 48 too young?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 545 Replies
4 moms liked this

To become a grandmother by CafeMom's standards or is it an okay age?

My son will be 27 when my first grandchild is born and I will either be 48 or just a few days away from 48. We just found out today:-)

EDIT--Love reading all of the answers. I am, btw, thrilled that I am going to bee a grandmother. I married young and had my family young and thought that i would have grandchildren young (before I was 40). The world was different then and it was " the norm" to start your family at a young age. My parents were born when their parents were 19 and 20 so my grandparents were 38 and 39 when I was born (my parents were  both 19) and my parents were 38 and 39 when my first child was born and they became first time grandparents. By the time they were 48 my parents had 7 grandchildren between 4-11. I thought that I would have a few grandchildren by now as well but the world is vastly different and, unlike when we married and started a family, you need a lot more stability, a career and a savings account before you even consider having a family. My 28yo isn't dating, marriage is a long way off for him and my 24 and 22yo sons are still in college and have no plans to marry until they are done with their educations and have careers. I am very proud of them for not being on the same paths as most of those that they went to school with because most of those people are on PA and struggle. When we were young we never relied on PA, we did it all ourselves and our sons grew up knowing that they wanted to be like us and being like us means waiting to start their famiilies. Those who wait until 24-27 to have their first children seem to do better so I am glad mine are waiting/waited.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustCJ
by ~yeerp~ on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Congrats!

AvantGardener
by Song Bird on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:39 PM

It would be too for me. Congratulations to you.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:40 PM
6 moms liked this
Sounds fine. I think 30 is too young.
Spam72
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:40 PM
12 moms liked this
Wow. I'm 42 in a few weeks, just finished nursing my infant!
erin708
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:40 PM
I made my mom one at 49. I was 22.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamanon
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:40 PM
11 moms liked this

You have to know that nothing is up to CM standards. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm 43 with granddaughter #1 due in December.

Eta: congrats!!!
504bbymami
by Emerald Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:41 PM
5 moms liked this
Not in the least.
Congrats

27 is actually really old to be having your first kid, IMO. There's no way I would be wanting to start a family at that age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
j3st3r
by Jedi on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:41 PM
My sister was 33 I think.
nana-to-9
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Congrats grandma!  I am 52 and I have 11 grandkids. They are awesome. 😊

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)