Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help! Live-in nanny! **Edit** **Edit**

Posted by   + Show Post

Sorry, no drama :) just wanted advice.

My SO's 17-year-old dd is being interviewed for a live-in nanny position tomorrow. The mother is an old friend of mine from high school and I'm taking her as her dad will be working. I need your advice/suggestions. 

What would/should the pay be? What are some questions we should ask. 

I have no idea, so I need help! Thanks in advance! =)

ETA: It's a suburb in Maine if that helps any! LOL

Two children, 22 months and 4 years old, with occasionally a 13-year-old. All girls.

It's a summer position. She's NOT moving out.

ETA: SHE GOT IT! $150/week to start, 30-35 hours/week. She can earn more or less depending on the hours, duties, etc. :) :) :) :)

by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Replies (101-109):
Reading.Rainbow
by LeVar on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:01 PM

lol Ok, You don't seem like you don't care, you seem like it's getting you a little mad.

But it also seems like people aren't making assumptions, they are going off of what you wrote.

"Live in" means she lives there, her living there means she moved out. If you wanted people to know she would be moving back after summer, write it down, don't get mad at everyone else for NOT assuming that's what would happen.

Quoting DaBuzz:

*Shrug* Having lived to the ripe old age of 40 has given me the privilege of not giving a rat's ass. The OP was NOT about whether or not she was moving out, it was for suggestions on what she should charge/expect. Drama-queens took this post in a whole other direction.

If people are too vapid to realize that there is more to a story than what meets the eye, then that's on them, not me.

Asking questions: The age-old way of getting answers.

Making assumptions: The age-old way of making your lack of intelligence known.

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

LOL Little cranky this morning huh?

It's also not that hard to realize why people take what you wrote as face value.

Quoting DaBuzz:

Like I said: I did it when I was her age, for a summer. It didn't mean I was moving out of my parents' house for good. It's not my fault people take something, make an assumption, and run with it. Any idiot should realize that at 17 she would still be going to school in the fall and that she's not actually moving in, she's just living there for the summer.

It's not that hard to rub two brain cells together and realize that there are different scenarios, nothing is black and white.

Simply ask for clarification. It's not that difficult to do.

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

lol You said it was a live in position... most people think live in means you live there.

Quoting DaBuzz:

I did not make it sound like she's moving out, that's how YOU interpreted it. Ask me to clarify and I would have answered you. Point blank and period. People make assumptions and then run with it, jeezus. 

Quoting Anonymous: Oh Lord listen to yourself. Without the edit it sounds like she's moving out at 17 to nanny. Point blank and period. So what future would there be for a 17 year old leaving home with no higher education to go baby sit someone else's kids?
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous: She doesn't say that in the original post. She added it
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous: College yes but move out at 17 to nanny? Come on now
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

MORE IMPORTANTLY WHYARE THEY ALLOWING THEIR 17 YEAR OLD TO MOVE OUT TO TAKE A LIVE IN POSITION?

Both of my daughters moved out at 17-it is called going away to college!

In the summer? Why not? My 11 year old is gone for the same amount of time-one month . He is at a sleep away camp.

The idffrenece is I paid for  the camp-he isn't getting paid!

So?   If it were for the school year and in a better school system would that bother you?

I know kids that age who go to relatives houses and live for a better school system.

Do you have any kids over the age of 6 or so?

DaBuzz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:01 PM

She was miserable at McDonald's. She knows she's making less taking this position. We discussed money, we discussed hours of work, we discussed everything and SHE made up her own mind. If this turns out not to be what she expected, lesson learned. It's 6 weeks, not 6 years *smh* 

Quoting 4Littleflowers: Thats hardly anything..........she could make more working at mcdonald's for 30-35hrs a week.....

Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Are they going to be paying for activities and food while she is staying with them? Like if she takes them to an amusement park or the museum or the Maine Wildlife park, will they pay for her admission? Will she be driving them around, and if she is are they going to reimburse for travel expenses?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Then why get paid at all? Do it for free!

She's being taken advantage of. Being sold for less than she's worth. As a caring individual, it bothers me greatly when adults take advantage of minors.

Quoting DaBuzz:

You're not too bright, are you? She was miserable working at McDonald's. She's not doing it for the money, she's doing it because she LIKES the work. Not everybody is a greedy mofo.

If she'd rather be happy making less than miserable making more, who are YOU to judge? Oh, wait. This is MC, who the fuck am I kidding? I'm surrounded by judgmental twats who think they know what's best for someone else LOL

Quoting Anonymous: She's getting SEVERELY screwed. She'd make more working fewer hours doing easier work at mcdonalds.

She's not too bright is she?

DaBuzz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:06 PM

They are providing everything for her financially, food, outings, she will not be driving, if they go to an amusement park they will pay her way, etc.

Quoting Rebecca7708: Are they going to be paying for activities and food while she is staying with them? Like if she takes them to an amusement park or the museum or the Maine Wildlife park, will they pay for her admission? Will she be driving them around, and if she is are they going to reimburse for travel expenses?

DaBuzz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Oh, how silly of me to miss your "caring" attitude. Calling her "not too bright" definitely shows how "caring" you are *snort*

Quoting Anonymous: Then why get paid at all? Do it for free! She's being taken advantage of. Being sold for less than she's worth. As a caring individual, it bothers me greatly when adults take advantage of minors.
Quoting DaBuzz:

You're not too bright, are you? She was miserable working at McDonald's. She's not doing it for the money, she's doing it because she LIKES the work. Not everybody is a greedy mofo.

If she'd rather be happy making less than miserable making more, who are YOU to judge? Oh, wait. This is MC, who the fuck am I kidding? I'm surrounded by judgmental twats who think they know what's best for someone else LOL

Quoting Anonymous: She's getting SEVERELY screwed. She'd make more working fewer hours doing easier work at mcdonalds. She's not too bright is she?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Because I question the intelligence and rationality of a person willing to do a full time job for less than $5 an hour, especially in child care.

If she likes working with kids so much she could get a job at a day care or summer camp and at least make minimum wage. Add to that her potential "extra duties," as a housekeeper I presume, and it just makes me feel bad for her.

Quoting DaBuzz:

Oh, how silly of me to miss your "caring" attitude. Calling her "not too bright" definitely shows how "caring" you are *snort*

Quoting Anonymous: Then why get paid at all? Do it for free!

She's being taken advantage of. Being sold for less than she's worth. As a caring individual, it bothers me greatly when adults take advantage of minors.

Quoting DaBuzz:

Quoting Anonymous: She's getting SEVERELY screwed. She'd make more working fewer hours doing easier work at mcdonalds.

DaBuzz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:00 PM

You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you? I can see right through your "caring" attitude. You sound like a snotty bitch more than anything.

Money isn't everything, she's 17 and this is a good learning experience for her. I'm done trying to explain simple common sense to you. Good day.

Quoting Anonymous: Because I question the intelligence and rationality of a person willing to do a full time job for less than $5 an hour, especially in child care. If she likes working with kids so much she could get a job at a day care or summer camp and at least make minimum wage. Add to that her potential "extra duties," as a housekeeper I presume, and it just makes me feel bad for her.
Quoting DaBuzz:

Quoting Anonymous: Then why get paid at all? Do it for free! She's being taken advantage of. Being sold for less than she's worth. As a caring individual, it bothers me greatly when adults take advantage of minors.
Quoting DaBuzz:

Quoting Anonymous: She's getting SEVERELY screwed. She'd make more working fewer hours doing easier work at mcdonalds. She's not too bright is she?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:05 PM
I hope you at least got a written agreement of hours worked and duties included otherwise don't be surprised when she's working 12 hour days and being expected to watch additional children for free.

Quoting DaBuzz:

You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you? I can see right through your "caring" attitude. You sound like a snotty bitch more than anything.

Money isn't everything, she's 17 and this is a good learning experience for her. I'm done trying to explain simple common sense to you. Good day.

Quoting Anonymous: Because I question the intelligence and rationality of a person willing to do a full time job for less than $5 an hour, especially in child care.

If she likes working with kids so much she could get a job at a day care or summer camp and at least make minimum wage. Add to that her potential "extra duties," as a housekeeper I presume, and it just makes me feel bad for her.

Quoting DaBuzz:

Quoting Anonymous: Then why get paid at all? Do it for free!

Quoting DaBuzz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)