Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you leave your 9yo alone at a city park?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

I let my 6yo ride his bike alone to our neighborhood park but I don't tell anybody because my friends are all to judgmental and would give me crap about it.

from my facebook. Support Grows for Debra Harrell: Parents Realize They're Overbearing Assholes

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:24 AM

I wouldn't. 

Ms.D318
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:29 AM
I live in nyc, so no
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:30 AM

Nope

angelizedsinz
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:33 AM
This. My 8 year old only goes outside when there's an adult to supervise.

Quoting Ms.D318: I live in nyc, so no
ms_amanda
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I likely wouldn't leave my kid in a park while I worked. But there are some great points laid out here. We all feel a need to protect our children, and so we supervise their every move. I am guilty of this too. It's because we love the little buggers and want what's best for them. So we take them to the park to play for an hour or so. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Or we put them in sports so they get some physical exercise.

Then, I read this article:

http://www.balancedandbarefoot.com/blog/the-real-reason-why-children-fidget

Got me thinking. My boys are fidgety kids. Big time.

And then I remembered how awesome my childhood was. How I would roller skate (no helmet) with my friends and pretend we were waitresses. Or ride our bikes playing cops and robbers. Or organize a baseball game using cardboard as bases and very few of us had actual gloves. Or play man hunt when it started getting dark. Or have contests to see who could climb the big tree the highest. Or go into the parking lot in winter and start digging out a huge hole on top of the snow bank, then throw each other in, and struggle to climb out. The list goes on and on... we had great fun!

Makes me feel really sad for my lot. They've never had the chance to play so freely and uninhibitedly. They've got good ole helicopter mom puttering around behind them. Settling disputes for them. Telling them to get out of that tree! It's not safe. You're too high. Don't jump from there. Don't leave this area. We're leaving in 10 mins;  I have lots to do at home. And so on.

So, I've let my 7 yo twin boys venture to the park that is directly across the street by themselves. yikes! I was a bag of nerves. I checked on them every 15 mins. They were fine. They were alive. They were being real kids! Racing other boys on their bikes. Playing 500 with their foot ball and some other random kids. Getting really dirty. Seeing as I check on them every 15-20 mins, I'm probably still a helicopter mom, but, I'm working towards allowing my kids to have an awesome childhood. Baby steps, lol.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:43 AM
Is the child 9 or 6?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:51 AM
Nope. My son is 11 years old and I wouldn't leave him alone like that.
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:56 AM

No. I'm slack on a lot of things and give my kids a lot of freedom but when we stay at our city condos nobody goes outside that young.

CadesMum
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:56 AM
No
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN