Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What would you say if DH said

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

that he is cutting his parents out of his life.  That he has had enough of them, he doesn't like them and doesn't want to have a relationship with them any longer?

The back story is, is that they went out every weekend for 20 years, left him with his grandmother.  They were always too busy watching TV to talk to him.  They told him he would never graduate high school, he did. They told him that he would never succeed in life and never make it through boot camp.  He made it, has been in 26 years and is high ranking.  When he is with them they always make him feel bad.

I am having a hard time with my DH's decision. Only because although I think its for the best for him, because he gets so upset.  I don't want to encourage the decision in case he later changes his mind and then he is resentful.  

The cherry on top of the situation is that they got involved in a problem that DH is having with his son, when DH asked them not to get involved.  After never being involved in their grandsons life prior.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I would tell him I wasn't going to help him make that decision but I would support whatever he decided. 

MotherLady
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I would say exactly what I always say to my DH when he makes life altering decisions.

"I love you and you have my full support. If you are sure then I have your back. I hope this makes you happy."

I don't give my opinion just my support.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:08 AM

That is basically the route I am going, but he is so upset and venting to me.  I can see his point, can't not see it.  He is right.  And I've watched these people tear him apart since we were in high school.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I would tell him I wasn't going to help him make that decision but I would support whatever he decided. 

tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:10 AM

His mother, I would have a party if we could cut her out of our lives.

His father, I would divorce him because he is an amazing man who sacrificed everything for him and he doesn't deserve to be treated like shit.

Luckily they are long divorced and DH can't stand to be around his mom for too long, so there is still hope for a happy ending.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:12 AM
I would support it. Dfs parents.. his mother mostly (dad was deployed) was just neglectful.

I'm happy as Hell she's out of our lives
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)