Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

no thank you, I'm vegan

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 232 Replies
3 moms liked this

When offered food that contains animal products, this is my response. I don't put down others for their choices with food, I politely decline.

It seems that more often than not, when others find out that I'm vegan, that I'm immediately put on the defensive and berated with questions and "concerns". I understand that not everyone is knowledgeable in plant based nutrition, but I find myself repeating information a lot.

So, I thought I'd put this out there to help others understand if they're interested.

Ask me anything.

ETA******FAQ*****

Since this post is receiving more replies, I thought I'd update with answers to the FAQ

1. Where do you get Protein?: quinoa, beans, whole grain, nuts, seeds, and vegetables. 

2. Why did you go vegan? : My son refused to eat meat and spit out cow's milk when we first transitioned him to solids.  I was worried, with many of the same questions I've been asked here. "Where will he get his protein? Is he getting enough calories? What about Iron?" So I did extensive research into a healthy vegan diet.  As time went on, I found myself eating more of his meals when it was just the two of us, and I grew tired of making two dinners.  The more I ate of his meals, the better I felt.  My husband started to do the same.  We had a long discussion one night, and the two of us decided to join our son in veganism.  It was not an overnight change as we both had a hard time with dairy.  Once we fully transitioned and went through a period of clensing, we felt amazing! Many health issues vanished, our energy was greater, and we were happier overall. 

I won't try to convert you, so "anti vegan" pictures aren't necessary, really. 

3. Where do you get all of your vitamins?:  I haven't been a smart ass in here, but this one begs me to be one. Raw fruits and vegetables have the highest vitamin and mineral content and is absorbed well.  You don't lose any by cooking it. The only supplement for us is b12 which we add to our smoothies. vitamin D is naturally absorbed by the sun in the summer, and supplimented in the winter in one way or another.

Blood work looked fantastic, if there were any doubts. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Bump
Mom-to-2kids
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Best tofu recipe?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't use tofu, sorry!

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: Best tofu recipe?
winkyloafed
by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Have you had Harmless Harvest coconut water?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom-to-2kids
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:27 AM
Then you are of no help to me anon...grrrrrrr

Quoting Anonymous: I don't use tofu, sorry!

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: Best tofu recipe?
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:28 AM

I happily accomodate vegans. I used to be one (because I was an anorexic, not because of the animals) so I can respect it.

Bump.

Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:28 AM
No meat? Like ever?
Can you eat shrimps and mussels?
What exactly is being a vegan?
If your kid one day tells you that he hates being Vegan and want to eat meat?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:28 AM
7 moms liked this
I think people get defensive because a lot of vegans can be very very preachy and judgy.

I've only met one vegan who didn't try to make me feel like a horrible person for eating meat. She was awesome. And I asked her a lot of questions.
cymkare
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I am actually curious. Not trying to start a debate. I have never met a vegan and I am wondering why you do it. 

Is it animal rights, digestive issues or something else? What are your reasons? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:31 AM
I'm going to sound stupid here especially since I can just Google lol. What exactly does a vegan diet consist of? I know you don't eat or drink any animal products at all (no eggs, cows milk, etc.) but is there anything else you don't eat? What's your favorite thing to have?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)