Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Please STOP breastfeeding!! Its not normal!!

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM
  • 333 Replies
7 moms liked this

Let me start off by saying that im all for the "breast is best" revolution. I breast fed my 2 boys and am planning to breast feed my 3rd.. hopefully a little longer than my first 2. (i only made it 1 month with my 2 boys, TMI - i have inverted nipples that made it very hard to breast feed, i would like to try to get to at least the 3 month mark or 6 month with this one.. but its unlikely. Even with that shield thingie)

I also have Zero issues about mothers breast feeding in public.. kids gotta eat too. Im a little more modest and use a receiving blanket to cover, but it doesnt bother me if i see mothers not covering up.. its natural.

So, I take DS#2 to a free summer concert in the park.. we are enjoying some music, hes playing tag with a 4 year old little boy.. until the little boys mother scoops him up and sits down with him on the bench in front of us.. where she proceeds to whip out her boob and let this little 4 year old go to town. This made me very uneasy and uncomfortable...my DS what a little confused as well.

I mean to each thier own.. and i get some moms are really gun-ho on mothers milk.. but at that age.. the kid is 3 feet tall, has a full set of teeth, potty trained, about to start pre-k and can tell you what boob he wants first in a full comprehensive sentence.. then have a conversation with you about it! Time to ween that kid! If you really want them on your own brand of milk.. pump it at home and give it to them in a sippy... to watch the kid that my son was just playing tag with sit there and suck on your boobs.. its not fricken normal.. and no i dont want to see it! Time to let go of that baby stage.. you kid can recite the alphabet!

In my opinion after the first year they should be weened!

Would this make you uncomfortable to see in public? What are your thoughts about breastfeeding older - school aged children?

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormborn
by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM
49 moms liked this
I'm more uncomfortable reading these types of posts written by women who can't spell weaned personally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JRSMOM0621

That would be awkward. I wonder what she is going to do when the kid starts K.

tansyflower
42 moms liked this
It would bother me more if she handed him a coke.
LCJan21
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I'd find it a little odd, but its none of my business either way
KelticLady
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:18 PM
6 moms liked this
I believe in self-weaning. Most kids naturally self-wean about 3 or so.
falloutboy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:19 PM
This would make me feel extremely uncomfortable. If you're going to breastfeed at that age, pump it for public.
zeenah
by Zarah on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:19 PM
5 moms liked this

It wouldn't bother me. 

"It's a boy!" 

Lifeisgneiss
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:20 PM
3 moms liked this

different strokes for different folks. 

i look at it similarly to if I am in the park and a mom hands her 4 year old a mountain dew. Would I let my 4 year old drink a mountain dew? hell no. If that mom want's to give that to her kid that's her buisness not mine. 

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:21 PM
13 moms liked this

Nope wouldn't bother me.  Since I am still nursing my 2.5yr old who can speak, potty training, can drink from a regular cup and can tell me what breast he wants to nurse from. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:22 PM
4 moms liked this
I agree with you! Weird...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)