Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My apartment smells like cat piss from milk?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
I live in a duplex with a shared stairwell, the stairwell is carpeted. Two days ago dh was walking up steps with groceries and the bag holding a gallon of milk broke. The milk carton shattered and the milk went everywhere. I IMMEDIATELY cleaned the spill and shampooed the rug and all seemed ok. The next day the entire hallway smelled like cat piss! IT WAS HORRIBLE! It literally smelled like the monkey cage at the zoo lol. (Not really funny). So I shampooed the rugs an additional 3 times! Also, the girl living under me mopped them with Clorox and water and used an extractor to get the water up.

So here's where I'm confused. I've never in my life smelled milk smell that way and trust me I have kids I know what bad milk smells like (in rugs in cars in bottles and cribs) it NEVER smelled like cat piss to me before and I've always been able to clean the smell out. I also know the woman who rented our apartment before us owned three dogs and other multiple pets, I've been told she was a complete slob and was evicted. My landlord no longer allows pets. So when I called my landlord he said it sounds like the enzymes in the milk are causing the smell. Our apartment was totally renovated in between the pet lady and us but I don't think the outside hallway was ever redone.

My question is does this sound like the milk caused the smell or do you think the carpet being wet is bringing out old pet urine? My landlord is supposed to be here tomorrow I don't want him trying to blame me for this because I'm almost positive it's from the previous renter letting her pets piss everywhere.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Bump
smorgan865
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:27 PM
Old pet urine probably.

I bet if you ripped up the carpets you'd see a stain. Pet smells are next to impossible to remove completely.
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:28 PM
I'd bet it was the previous renter. :( that would suck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Ughh so f*cking disgusting! I can't stand animals! (Sorry if you guys are pet people lol)

Quoting smorgan865: Old pet urine probably.

I bet if you ripped up the carpets you'd see a stain. Pet smells are next to impossible to remove completely.
RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:28 PM
The carpet and underfloor getting wet brought the smell up!!!!!!!
cupomeow
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:29 PM
My guess is that the wetness of the carpet brought out the pee smell.
It is not your fault. The landlord needs to pay for cleaning or new carpet.
syfymom354
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Yea I think it's just old cat pee. Cat pee is about impossible to get rid of and when it becomes wet with any kind of liquid it will smell again,there are products just for cat and dog smells though,but not your fault.you may have brought the smell out but it was already there
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:31 PM
That's what I think too! He doesn't even have to rip up the carpet if he doesn't want to do all that but at least hire someone to come clean it properly! Thanks

Quoting cupomeow: My guess is that the wetness of the carpet brought out the pee smell.
It is not your fault. The landlord needs to pay for cleaning or new carpet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:32 PM
I'm going to try and have the landlord clean it or get it cleaned. However if he still claims it's the milk after being here tomorrow do you have any suggestions for pet odor cleaning products?

Quoting syfymom354: Yea I think it's just old cat pee. Cat pee is about impossible to get rid of and when it becomes wet with any kind of liquid it will smell again,there are products just for cat and dog smells though,but not your fault.you may have brought the smell out but it was already there
PPCLC
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask the landlord to get the carpeting steam cleaned though I have to warn you...cat urine is an incredibly hard odor to get out and because it goes into the foam padding underneath the carpet.

For now, try to do a combination of Borax, vinegar, and water and scrub the area(s) down with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)