Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age did you start putting your kid in activities?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:12 AM
  • 26 Replies
I started putting dd in Gymboree classes when she was around 8 months. We did that and story time for awhile then started doing tumble classes when she was 18 months. She's now almost two and is signed up for a toddler social/learning hour every week in addition to tumble time. She really enjoys it so we'll probably keep her in these types of classes as long as she wants. She is a very social baby so I also plan lots of playgroups and meetups for her and I. It is such a great perk of being a stay at home mom that I can do these types of things with her. Sometimes I see nannies take other people's kids to the classes and I feel bad their mom can't be there with them instead as the nannies seem so bored and not as enthusiastic as the moms
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:16 AM

so learn spanish and talk to the nannies.

lol

bellasmom32510
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:17 AM
DD started taking tumbling at 2 and then cheer/tumble at 3. She loves it.
Spam72
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM
We had baby talk classes at one week but that was more for me. Weekly classes where they weigh the baby and an lc talks about nursing and stuff.
Things they did on their own like dance and soccer were about 2 or 3 years old
zeenah
by Zarah on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:19 AM
She started musical munchkins at 13 months.
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Swimming from 18 months, dance from 2, horseriding at 3. Everything else comes as it comes.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:29 AM

My oldest was just over 4 and my youngest was 4.5 years old. 

Our oldest was adopted from China at 17 months and was not ready for anything like that until around 4 when she asked to take Karate... she is testing for her black belt in a few months. 

Our youngest was not ready as she did not follow directions very well until about 4.5 which is when she decided she wanted to take Karate. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I have 2 kids.  

1st kid: 

* American sign language, outdoor class (structured park meet-ups), and sort of a mommy-and-me-preschool class from 6-12 (all free through the community college)

* ASL and outdoor class from 12-24 mo (same as above but next age group)

* at about 2, did a couple months of gymboree (thanks to an awesome groupon!) and then gymnasics (until my pregnancy made it hard to support the mommy-and-me aspect and they changed the teacher so it was no longer worth it)

* At 3: another gymboree month when there was a good deal (and now I had a newborn), and we did lots of free library and local rec center stuff (like a cool intro to sports class)

* At 3.5, she started preschool so between that and naptime, there was no time for anything else, she did some dance classes, swimming, and violin classes over the next 2 summers

My 2nd:

* <crickets>

* Mommy and me swim lessons at age 2.

* At 2.5 we did a mommy and me art class while big sis was in preschool

* <more crickets>

And now that my kids are 3&5 this summer:

* Swim lessons 

* Soccer (same group!)

* Tap/Ballet (same class!)

* lots of library and other local activities

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:45 AM
My dd will start tumbling, at two, next spring. She will do dance and teeball, at three, the next spring.
wickedfunmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:46 AM
I've been taking DS to story times and playgroups since he was 6 months. Just started toddler gymnastics this summer ! I try to get him into activities as often as possible because I worry that with me being a SAHM he is missing out not being in daycare. I agree with you though when I do see kids who are at these activities with their nannies I feel bad that they aren't as engaged as a mom or dad would be.
Fulltimemommy12
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:48 AM
6 months swim lessons

10 months story time

18 months gymnastics

2 track and field for toddlers

.....yes I'm that mom lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN