Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So I'm rude because I asked your kids to return the toys they took from my yard?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 416 Replies
Every year our neighbor's have family visit. There's a bunch of boys. They never want to play with my boys. But they do like sneaking into our yard and taking their toys and bikes and going off to play with them.

I notice when I go out to move the sprinkler or come home from the store and see them using them down the street. I write our last name and phone number on all outdoor playthings. So even though I recognized them, the names confirmed that they were ours. Sometimes my kids will go out to use them only to find them gone.

These toys are in the backyard which has a hedge but no gate. The hedge blocks views so you have to go through it to see the backyard. Bikes are on the sideyard again open but nearly hidden from view by the same hedge The stuff is not laying out in plain view in other words

The kids never ask. They just take. It is the same kids everytime and every year. And each time I am nice about it and say they need to ask first, please bring them back and next time if they ask first we might say yes. I've been getting firmer. Because they say, we were going to bring them back. And I always say, but you shouldn't take or borrow without asking if it's okay.

The adults are always outside watching and listening while this goes down. So I know they know what the kids are doing. And are okay with it. In fact I get dirty looks from them because I'm asking for them to return the toys.

I'm not sure what to do.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:48 PM
183 moms liked this
Call the cops. I bet those little brats would shape up with real consequences. The kids would as well.
disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:49 PM
51 moms liked this

I'd keep the toys inside when they're not being used.  If I saw one being used, I'd go over and take it back stating "You didn't ask to borrow this so now you can't use it."

BossMomXo
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM
21 moms liked this

Well time to put up an actual fence, since some parents can't buy their own child toys or find it ok that they are stealing.

CafeMom Tickers
my2kids0506
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM
9 moms liked this
Yeah I would not be that Nice and as soon as I got the back they would be going in the house until they left .
mrsmoonbeam
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM
7 moms liked this
This

Quoting Anonymous: Call the cops. I bet those little brats would shape up with real consequences. The kids would as well.
Ramble_on
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, that's ridiculous. Put your stuff away.... Problem solved!!
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:52 PM
14 moms liked this

I would call the police and report stuff stolen =)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:52 PM
5 moms liked this

Call the police and report them stolen and then tell them who took them. 

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM
65 moms liked this

or the kids could not trespass and steal.....

Quoting Ramble_on: Yeah, that's ridiculous. Put your stuff away.... Problem solved!!

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM
37 moms liked this

I'd tell them that the next time their kid "borrows" one of my kid's toys without asking, I am calling the police.That sounds extreme, but they are taking your stuff without permission which is stealing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)