Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

help settle an argument

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Your child comes to you and says, "Mom, I'm hungry." Let's say they're under 10, not capable of feeding themselves yet. What do you do/say?

I'll add more once I get some replies.

ETA: I have no problem with our kids (4 and 7) coming and saying this. I get up and fix them something if it's an appropriate time. Or tell them to wait for a bit for the next meal.

DH, however, says it's rude for them to come to us and say this. That they should come and ask us, "Can you fix me something to eat please?"

This led to me asking why we should do it his way when I believe I'm right just like he believes he's right. He replied he should have a say in something because I'm the only one who makes ANY decisions involving the kids. I think he's PMSing with me.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
kmeow
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM

My mom would always respond with "So do you want me to spit in your mouth?" unless we asked politely. So gross, but I agree with your husband actually. If they're inconveniencing you by asking you to get up and make them food, they should at least have to ask nicely. Just saying they're hungry and expecting you to get up instantly isn't showing proper grattitude.

PogoPalOj
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Why can't a seven year old go to the fridge and get an apple or some crackers or somehting?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM
No, he thinks they should ask more politely, I have no problem with them just saying, "I'm hungry." I don't find that rude, he does.

Quoting Anonymous: Based on your updated information, you are arguing about 2 different things.

He thinks the kid should ask in a more polite way, whereas you came off as if he was saying they just shouldn't have anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Added more to OP if that helps.

Quoting Anonymous: This depends on a lot.
How long since the last meal, did they eat the food they were given, when is the next meal, have they had any snacks, does this child always eat during mealtime, or wait for snacks to fill up on....

Typically we don't just snack whenever...

crysiann
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:01 PM

If it's just the wording that your dh has aproblem with, then change it. Marriage is about compromise, why drag it out and make an argument out of something so simple? I think your dh is just wanting your children to let you know they are hungry in a more respectful manner. And I do see his point, it's just about having an attitude of gratutude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:02 PM
I don't feel like I'm inconvenienced though. I'm not usually doing anything important. Definitely nothing more important than them eating.

Quoting kmeow:

My mom would always respond with "So do you want me to spit in your mouth?" unless we asked politely. So gross, but I agree with your husband actually. If they're inconveniencing you by asking you to get up and make them food, they should at least have to ask nicely. Just saying they're hungry and expecting you to get up instantly isn't showing proper grattitude.

katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:03 PM
A kid under ten can't feed themselves?
My 3 year is is CONSTANTLY saying he's hungry. Just that. "Mom, I'm hungry."
I usually say "Cool, what do you want me to do about it?"
If he wants me to make him something, he can ask for me to make him something, otherwise he can ask if he can grab a snack.
Just saying "I'm hungry" doesn't get you anything from me. Especially since he says it every 20 minutes, and sometimes even halfway through a meal.
katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:05 PM
LOL awesome.

Yes, OP, just saying "I'm hungry" and expecting you to jump up and make them something is rude, IMO.

I require things be be asked in a polite manner.

Quoting kmeow:

Peace.Love.Pink
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:06 PM

OK, give me a sec and I get their food. This argument is stupid btw.

weebis
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:16 PM

When my DD(8) says to me, "Mommy, I'm hungry", I usually reply with, "Ok, go fix yourself something to eat."

"I'm hungry" is a statement, not a request or a question. I agree with your husband--teach your kids to ask politely instead of teaching them to make demands.  Your kids are old enough to make a PB&J or grab some crackers and fruit--they're old enough to know that Mom isn't going to say, "how high" when they tell her to jump...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:36 PM
Most of ours are. lol I think I'd rather the small stupid ones to the huge important ones.

Quoting Peace.Love.Pink:

OK, give me a sec and I get their food. This argument is stupid btw.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)