Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Having a wedding to please his mother - nice or a doormat?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I recently got engaged. I would just as soon go to Toledo and get married at city hall, and df agrees. But when he told his mom, she expressed her desire to see him get married. Then his sisters chimed in that they want to be there too. So, our quickie city hall wedding is morphing into something bigger. Because I have trouble with boundaries, I honestly don't know. Is having an actual wedding to please his family the right thing to do, or us it letting them walk all over us?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Replies (41-46):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:13 PM
You have to figure it out for you. I still want a bigish ceremony. We got married the month before our oldest was born. Just a real quicky thing down town. My mom and my grandma witnessed for us. Some of dhs family was pissed because we "hid it" and it was my family members there. By the time ods was 2 years old my mom and my grandma had passed away. It means the world to me now that they got to witness our marriage.
justone_jen
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Who the fuck is paying for this ceremony she wants so badly?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM
Revisiting this thread because the idea of a proper wedding, even just for family, is causing me SO much anxiety. :(
hyper_bunny
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Go get married and screw them. That's what we did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 6:38 PM

maybe you can compromise and have a small wedding at a park (nothing fancy or proper) or something so his family can come. I understand them wanting to see him get married because I want to see all my kids get married.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:26 PM
That's the plan, but even that is stressing me out big time.

Quoting Anonymous:

maybe you can compromise and have a small wedding at a park (nothing fancy or proper) or something so his family can come. I understand them wanting to see him get married because I want to see all my kids get married.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN