Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Found out a biiiiiiig family secret by accident. WWYD?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

Well.

I've always suspected something was funky with my mom's family history. Just never banked on this.

My grandparents are neon-white Irish. As in, all of my great-grandparents were born in Ireland, immigrated turn of the century, all documented, extensive record-keeping from the 1700s on. My mother doesn't look anything like her siblings, but I always assumed maybe my gran had an affair with an Italian or soemthing and that's why my mother's darker.

My SO and I have been talking about having kids in the future and thought it'd be fun to do the 23-and-me test, since he doesn't know who his father is and my father's family is a huge mix.

His came back roughly as expected. Euromutt, little Am. Indian mixed in. Mine... not so much.

Apparently about 20% of my genes come from the Arab middle east, another 26% from the Balkans (I assume that means Serbia/Croatia and Bosnia?) and a bunch of smaller fractions in North Africa and Southern Europe.

It's certainly not from my father's side since they're 10th generation American (Anglo, Irish, Northern Euro, etc) and those groups were accounted for in the rest of my report, and my mother's brother took the same test I did and he's 100% European, so I know it's not me who's adopted.

She's lost both parents and my father in the last 2 years, under huge amounts of stress. I don't know if she could take the shock, if she doesn't know. I doubt she does, the way she rambles on about her Irish ancestors like her DNA is a personal accomplishment.

Should I tell her, or just leave it be since she's gone 60 years without knowing and both her parents are gone anyway?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Keep your mouth shut. Do not tell her.
cadditalbrat
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:40 AM
I wouldn't say anything
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Zip it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:41 AM
Leave it alone and don't share that info with anyone else.
.sugar.kisses.
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:42 AM
Lips sealed
Ultrakiwi
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:42 AM
Yeah, don't tell her.
Her parents aren't alive to explain themselves.
She wouldn't get any closure.
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:42 AM
Don't say a word.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:43 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm kind of lost..

Maybe it's cause I'm sleepy??

But what's the secret? She may be adopted??
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:45 AM

This is what they call a "pandora's box" ( google it if needed)

my grandmother was adopted by a Swedish family.  My aunt always thought she was half Swedish 

well, turns out my grandmother was French and Irish.  My aunt who identified so much w being Swedish was not pleased w the info.  And she was the one that searched it out.  May be best to keep it to yourself unless she says something that makes you think she wants to know more.

oh, and they knew she was adopted, that wasn't ever an issue, just nationality.....and my aunt wanted to be a swede.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this

leave it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN