Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 18 year old is a minor.... not an adult!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies
I saw the other post about the out of control 18 year old and I am amazed at how many people assume 18 is the age of majority in all States

I too live in Nebraska and here 18 is still legally a minor. 19 is the age of majority.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Sorry Nebraska is so backwoods, its in direct opposition with Federal Statutes.

You can be drafted but you are not an adult. LOL at least in Nebraska.. but then again don't you give your kids Driver licenses at like 14?

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:07 AM

I'm in Nebraska as well and 18 is indeed still considered a minor.

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:07 AM

My son thankfully was an adult at 18. And signed himself up for the service, instead of hanging around my house being a dead beat like that other persons kid.

Bubbie0809
by Dreaded hippie on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:08 AM
I really didn't know it was different. I always thought that 18 = adult.
I think my mom was glad we didn't live in Nebraska.
rachellaree20
by Rachel on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Lol, you can buy tobacco products and join the military but can't play the lottery or be considered a legal adult.  I've never understood the logic.  And you can get school or work permits at 14 here if you live a certain distance from those places.  I could have since I had a job and went to school 17 miles away from my house but I was too scared to drive so I took a bus or walked.

Quoting Foolynroo2:

You can be drafted but you are not an adult. LOL at least in Nebraska.. but then again don't you give your kids Driver licenses at like 14?

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:11 AM

LOL so strange. My son did have a girl who was a friend.. in nebraska and I know she drove at 14, just wasn't sure it was legal, she said it was.. but not sure of the circumstances.

Bright girl too.

Quoting rachellaree20:

Lol, you can buy tobacco products and join the military but can't play the lottery or be considered a legal adult.  I've never understood the logic.  And you can get school or work permits at 14 here if you live a certain distance from those places.  I could have since I had a job and went to school 17 miles away from my house but I was too scared to drive so I took a bus or walked.

Quoting Foolynroo2:

Loveavision
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:13 AM
I always figured it was 18 everywhere. Huh!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:14 AM
You can get permits at 14 but there are restrictions on them. Like you can only drive yourself unattended to school or other sanctioned activities

Quoting Foolynroo2:

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:14 AM

It seems odd but most people don't care much around here, especially in small towns.  Most of the kids I went to highschool with had school permits when they turned 14.  I was one of the few who didn't get my license until almost 17 because driving makes me so nervous.

Quoting Foolynroo2:

LOL so strange. My son did have a girl who was a friend.. in nebraska and I know she drove at 14, just wasn't sure it was legal, she said it was.. but not sure of the circumstances.

Bright girl too.

Quoting rachellaree20:

Quoting Foolynroo2:

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Quoting Loveavision: I always figured it was 18 everywhere. Huh!

few states have 19, I think alabama is one too

and I think Mississippi is even older.

what surprised me is the number of states that say 18 or graduation HS gradutions which ever is later.

For me 18 is 18 -welcome to adulthood punk!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN