Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is your goal as a parent?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:02 AM
  • 85 Replies

besides day to day stuff - what is the ultimate goal of your parenting?

Is it not to see your child mature and become an adult with enough educations, experience and knowledge to make healthy decisions for themselves?

Isn't that why you have your child for 18 years of their life?

Is your 18 year old unprepared for being an adult? Why? 

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:03 AM

I understand the parenting of a child over 18, some need it.

but to declare your 18 year old not an adult? Why aren't they? what have you been doing with their lives for 18 years?

(and I am speaking outside the legal age of 19 for some states) I mean in general sense of it.

Whatever AGE your child is legally an adult - are they prepared to be one?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:10 AM
3 moms liked this

I have a 19 year old and a 15 year old.  Both still need parenting.  My 19 year old has always been very independent, but she still need guidance.  She's in college and moving into her first apartment.  She doesn't know about setting up a house.  She is figuring out money.  She is figuring out a lot. 

As far as my parenting goals?  Here they are:

1.  Get them into a good college without any arrests, drug use or pregnancy.  (1 down, 1 to go)

2.  Keep them talking.  Have good communication so I know what's going on with their lives.  And they can come to me with any question, any problem.  (Both accomplished)

3.  Raise them to be compassionate.  Strong.  Don't follow the crowd.  Do what you love.  Have a strong sense of charity.  Have a strong sense of loyalty.  Have a work ethic.  Don't settle.  Work for what you want.  (1 down, 1 to go)

4.  Find yourself and make yourself accomplished on your own.  Marry well, but don't depend on your mate to complete who you are.  Don't have random sex.  Always have safe sex.  Wait until you really are ready to have sex.  (So far, so good)

mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:27 AM

To raise independent adults.  My kids are 8 & 10, so I have quite a few years left.  The big thing is not doing things for them that they can do themselves!  

I was the responsible child that graduated from college in four years.  My brother was the child that was in school for seven years and never graduated.  He lived at home for a number of years as an adult, while I moved out after graduation.  Sometimes you can do everything right as a parent and still have issues with adult children.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:30 AM
2 moms liked this

To raise these two children to become weathly so they can support us their poor parents in our older years.

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I don't think living independently is necessarily a requirement for maturity.

not living OFF of your parents perhaps is, but simply - living with them - at least for me is not a great measure.

and no my son does not live at home with us...

Quoting mommytoeandb:

To raise independent adults.  My kids are 8 & 10, so I have quite a few years left.  The big thing is not doing things for them that they can do themselves!  

I was the responsible child that graduated from college in four years.  My brother was the child that was in school for seven years and never graduated.  He lived at home for a number of years as an adult, while I moved out after graduation.  Sometimes you can do everything right as a parent and still have issues with adult children.  

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:32 AM

I have two rules in this house

Everyone has a job

Everyone gives and gets respected.

from day 1 to day dead.

MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:39 AM
To raise children who will become happy and productive adults with lives of their own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flylady14
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:40 AM

My goal is for her to be healthy and happy. 

the.B.karma
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I just want my kid to be happy. All that other stuff is a bonus of awesome parenting, but what it really comes down to for me is making sure my kid is well adjusted to life itself and HAPPY.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:46 AM
I think it's one thing for them to be prepared for life, knowing how to do basic things like dishes and laundry by 18, and another thing to recognize that 18 year olds aren't adults, they are still just kids. All the way up to 25 they are just kids who are going to make bad decisions thinking they are good decisions.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)