Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you discipline your child-does it work?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
I'm just curious. Be honest, go anon if you want. My daughter is 2 and I find that I don't have to yell or spank. I'm not technically against that type of parenting though. I just feel what works for us is if I get down on her level hold her hands and speak firmly and clearly she listens. I've made it known to her that if she doesn't listen she gets time-out and I follow through with my threats every time. Time out is two minutes in her room followed by a "sorry" to whomever deserves it and hugs and I love yous. When my daughter starts a tantrum we sit together and count to ten slowly, sometimes it takes a few times but it always eventually distracts her and calms her down so we can solve the problem.

I've been told by so many people that my daughter is the best behaved toddler they've ever met and I take pride in that. I feel like part of it is she's just a good kid. I would like to hear other stories of how you guys discipline. What works for your kids?

I'm going anon because I don't want to be bashed for bragging.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
casah4
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I did the same thing you're doing with my first child. It worked like a charm. She was (and still is at 16) a very well-behaved person. Then my second came along.  She's, um, very different. That stuff never worked with her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM
Haha Oh gosh. Were expecting #2. #1 is behaved now but as for her infancy oh sweet Jesus she was a handful she had colic so I felt horrible lol. I'm hoping #2 doesn't go through it

Quoting casah4:

I did the same thing you're doing with my first child. It worked like a charm. She was (and still is at 16) a very well-behaved person. Then my second came along.  She's, um, very different. That stuff never worked with her.

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I spank but only when they do something that can get themselves killed. Other than that we have a green, yellow, red light system with time outs. My kids safe the bad stuff for when we are home away from prying eyea. Out in public they are perfect little angels.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Omg that sounds interesting!!! How's it work and how old are your kids?

Quoting Hanab818: I spank but only when they do something that can get themselves killed. Other than that we have a green, yellow, red light system with time outs. My kids safe the bad stuff for when we are home away from prying eyea. Out in public they are perfect little angels.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Taking away privileges seems to work best for my kids.

bakerytreatz412
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:29 AM
I do the same thing with my two year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casah4
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM

My first was just great right from the beginning. She slept through the night pretty much since birth. Didn't cry unless she needed something. Was just generally content. My second had  a week of her life where she cried from 10pm to 1am nonstop. Like clockwork. It was kinda funny (and exhausting). 

Quoting Anonymous: Haha Oh gosh. Were expecting #2. #1 is behaved now but as for her infancy oh sweet Jesus she was a handful she had colic so I felt horrible lol. I'm hoping #2 doesn't go through it
Quoting casah4:

zeenah
by Zarah on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:34 AM
I do pretty much the same thing with my two year old. I've only raised my voice when I'm repeating myself 3 or more times and she isn't listening. Then I'll say sternly "Vivianna Joyce!" And she listens.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Spanking and yelling. Spanking works temporarily
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:36 AM
They are 2 and 3. We have it up with they chore chart and m7xed in with that but the general idea is green good, yellow warning, red bad. Say I tell them to pick up their toys and they dont name goes in yellow, do it a second time name goes in red and I pick up the toys put them in the bad boy box and they can earn them back. They can earn their way back up. We also do a reward system after a set amount of days on green they get a mommy or daddy date. We only do time out when warrented. And spanks are for dangerous stuff like trying to walk on the back of the couch.

Quoting Anonymous: Omg that sounds interesting!!! How's it work and how old are your kids?

Quoting Hanab818: I spank but only when they do something that can get themselves killed. Other than that we have a green, yellow, red light system with time outs. My kids safe the bad stuff for when we are home away from prying eyea. Out in public they are perfect little angels.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)