Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am moving to Spokane, WA...

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM
  • 35 Replies

My husband and I decided we are moving to Spokane next summer. We are moving for a few reasons. The most important is my daughter wants to attend a Washington college. I want to find employment in my field. My husband hates that everything in the MT city we live in closes at night. We all dislike the limited choices when it comes to the lack of variety in businesses. 

We're originally from Las Vegas. So we may be spoiled.

I cannot wait to move. We discovered we do like the seasonal changes compared to Las Vegas' weather, so we want to remain in the North West.

Does anyone here live in Spokane who can tell me what they like about living there?

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmeow
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:47 AM

I'm from western washington, which is a whole different ball game. It mostly rains west of the cascades, like every day. Eastern Washington is really dry and not super pretty to drive through, but it gets some seasonal changes and you don't have to deal with rain all the time. Washington has no income tax though, and the minimum wage is over nine dollars, so that's cool. All in all it's not a bad state, though I don't know about Spokane specifically.

Nutball3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:02 AM
We are moving there in the fall. We're actually flying there to visit today :-)

I love it there. So much better weather than Seattle.

We love 9 mile falls, lake coeur d'alene and mt Spokane. Riverfront park is fun too.
idee
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Quoting kmeow:

I'm from western washington, which is a whole different ball game. It mostly rains west of the cascades, like every day. Eastern Washington is really dry and not super pretty to drive through, but it gets some seasonal changes and you don't have to deal with rain all the time. Washington has no income tax though, and the minimum wage is over nine dollars, so that's cool. All in all it's not a bad state, though I don't know about Spokane specifically.

Thanks. I looked into seattle and Vancouver. I liked Spokane for the affordable housing while still being close to nature.

kmeow
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I love Vancouver. That's more in my neck of the woods. Spokane is a lot cheaper though. I believe they have a big cat sanctuary over there by Spokane, if you're in to that sort of thing. I've never gotten to stop though, but it's supposed to be pretty cool.

Quoting idee:

Quoting kmeow:

Thanks. I looked into seattle and Vancouver. I liked Spokane for the affordable housing while still being close to nature.

idee
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Quoting Nutball3: We are moving there in the fall. We're actually flying there to visit today :-) I love it there. So much better weather than Seattle. We love 9 mile falls, lake coeur d'alene and mt Spokane. Riverfront park is fun too.

Thanks.

I will check those places out online. We plan on taking a trip in November during Thanksgiving vacation.  

Hope you have a great trip!

smorgan865
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:09 AM
I went to HS with a guy that lives there now. He loves it.
idee
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I was thinking of Vancouver since it is close to Portland. Then we decided that spending less on a home is better. Especially since my daughter is going to college.

My daughter is sixteen. She still lives zoos and large cats are her favorite. I will look into the cat sanctuary. She wants to work in the animal rescue and vetrenarain fields.

Quoting kmeow:

I love Vancouver. That's more in my neck of the woods. Spokane is a lot cheaper though. I believe they have a big cat sanctuary over there by Spokane, if you're in to that sort of thing. I've never gotten to stop though, but it's supposed to be pretty cool.

Quoting idee:

Quoting kmeow:

ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Spokane has a high crime rate and Scarey drivers! lol
Its not bad, we go over there and shop the malls sometimes. The hospitals are really good, DRs seem to care more about patients.
I say high crime because it seems like there's always something going on on the news.
I don't drive over there, people tend to drive faster and seemingly more reckless, but that's mostly freeways.
The colleges there ARE great though. My husband wanted his daughter to go to a Washington college.

I'm in Idaho...please don't hate on me lol
ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM
I can't remember the name of the cat sanctuary but I looked into it for SD once, they allow teen volunteers in the summer and it sounded really awesome. If your daughter wants that line of work it would be worth checking out.

Quoting idee:

I was thinking of Vancouver since it is close to Portland. Then we decided that spending less on a home is better. Especially since my daughter is going to college.

My daughter is sixteen. She still lives zoos and large cats are her favorite. I will look into the cat sanctuary. She wants to work in the animal rescue and vetrenarain fields.

Quoting kmeow:

Quoting idee:

Quoting kmeow:

Nutball3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM
My stepsisters went to the cat place and it made them so sad they left.

Quoting kmeow:

Quoting idee:

Quoting kmeow:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)