Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am moving to Spokane, WA...

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband and I decided we are moving to Spokane next summer. We are moving for a few reasons. The most important is my daughter wants to attend a Washington college. I want to find employment in my field. My husband hates that everything in the MT city we live in closes at night. We all dislike the limited choices when it comes to the lack of variety in businesses. 

We're originally from Las Vegas. So we may be spoiled.

I cannot wait to move. We discovered we do like the seasonal changes compared to Las Vegas' weather, so we want to remain in the North West.

Does anyone here live in Spokane who can tell me what they like about living there?

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Replies (31-35):
chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:24 PM

My DD lives in Spokane.  (She's a 21 yo college student.)  She absolutely loves it, and says she's staying there forever.  There are some good restaurants and parks there.  DD also volunteers at a pretty nice little science center for kids.  There's tons of outdoor activities to do.  Housing is still pretty reasonable.  I would be happy living there.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM
My father grew up there and my parents met at Gonzaga... they moved out fast. Mom always said the school district and the hospitals are the two main employers. I disliked visiting. Sorry that I'm not much help...
cwahtomy
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:57 PM
I lived there years ago as a child. The schools are good. Hot, dry summers. I absolutely HATED the snow, lol. There are a lot of things to do there as far as outdoor activities, concerts, sporting events, etc. I prefer Spokane Valley over Spokane these days, it looks so much cleaner.
ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Oh how annoying!
Spokane has variety. I like the malls for that reason, people in my town are snobby a lot of the time :(
And yeah you'll get bad drivers everywhere...

Quoting idee:

We live in a rural area. Not one corner in our neighborhood has a stop sign. On my way to a dental exam I noticed another car coming completely into my lane while she talked on her cell at the same time as eating a sandwich. I drive slow and alert around here. California highways are a dream compared to what I have driven with here.

I have also been asked if I am Jewish by store clerks when they check my ID and one of my neighbors because my name is Ida. I had never been asked that question before I lived in MT. Then there are two trucks in our neighborhood with the large rebel flags on their tailgates. This place makes me uncomfortable.

Not everyone is terrible here. I met a few nice people. The real problem is variety.

Quoting ZennMomma: Spokane has a high crime rate and Scarey drivers! lol Its not bad, we go over there and shop the malls sometimes. The hospitals are really good, DRs seem to care more about patients. I say high crime because it seems like there's always something going on on the news. I don't drive over there, people tend to drive faster and seemingly more reckless, but that's mostly freeways. The colleges there ARE great though. My husband wanted his daughter to go to a Washington college. I'm in Idaho...please don't hate on me lol

bdg71311
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I think its 8 or 9% but Id is only 6%

Quoting shadow_lark: Oh. What is sales tax over there right now? Its over 9% where I live
Quoting bdg71311: Spokane or Spokane Valley...I don't want to switch churches and I like saving on sales tax
Quoting shadow_lark: What part of Washington are you looking into?
Quoting bdg71311: I'm in Idaho too..I want to move to Washington to make it easier only Dh drives so it would make my life easier
Quoting shadow_lark: I second this. I have family in Spokane and dh works for a company in Spokane so he spends a fair amount of time there, though we live on the other aide of the state. There is a lot of crime and some gang activity. But yes, housing is much cheaper. My mom grew up in that aide if the mountains and has always said that selah is a good compromise. You get the seasonal changes and proximity to the rest of eastern Washington without so much crime.
Quoting ZennMomma: Spokane has a high crime rate and Scarey drivers! lol Its not bad, we go over there and shop the malls sometimes. The hospitals are really good, DRs seem to care more about patients. I say high crime because it seems like there's always something going on on the news. I don't drive over there, people tend to drive faster and seemingly more reckless, but that's mostly freeways. The colleges there ARE great though. My husband wanted his daughter to go to a Washington college. I'm in Idaho...please don't hate on me lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)