Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Seriously? You Do NOT Come With Your Kids Job Hunting!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
1 mom liked this

Unless your child is disabled in some way, you do NOT come with them inside the store to drop off or ask for applications!

We have 11 employees at my job. It's not a big store so we need about 20- 22 to be good to go.

Yet, we are having one heck of a time finding people.

Everyone wants a job, but no one wants to work!

And then of course you get the people coming in smelling like pot, when it clearly states on our door we are a drug free company.

If they don't smell like pot, they have some insane availability. Like no weekends, not for another job, but because they simply don't want to. Uh, hello? This is retail. You WILL be expected to work weekends.

Don't get me started on people who come in looking more raggedy and ridiculous than your average bum on the street.

Yesterday I had 2 twin girls come in. With their Mom. They did not look 18, so I asked them if they were before giving them an application. I explained you have to be 18 to work for us because it's state law that you have to be 18 to work the baler and everyone is expected to work the baler at my job.

Their Mom starts bitching. Their MOM. Talking about how a "manager" told her you only had to be 16. So I call the manager over who says no, I told you you have to be 18. And the Mom argues!

Seriously. Wtf is up with people these days?

I mean, I have never had not one single issue finding a job. I don't do drugs, I can work weekends, and last but certainly not least, I DO NOT BRING MY MOMMY AND DADDY JOB HUNTING WITH ME lol.

I thought this was all no brainer type of stuff, but I guess not!

Here's to hoping we can find decent people and soon. My store hasn't been getting the attention it needs because we have no people to help us since everyone who fills out an app doesn't actually want to work.

People don't realize that even though I might "Only" be a cashier, my bosses have asked me to give me a heads up about people who drop off applications.

They want to know how they were dressed, they want to know if they smelled like drugs and they want to know if Mommy or Daddy was babying them by being right there with them. All those things are an automatic disqualification. I might just be a cashier but my bosses are going to believe anything I say over some random person coming in off the streets looking for employment.

Like I said this does not apply to disabled persons. We have someone who is deaf working with us and it was completely expected for his Mom to be there with him since none of us know sign language, but we are slowly learning. Other than that, there's no excuse.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this
American entitlement.
Texor
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I took my son to interviews before he had a car....but I always just dropped him off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM

My boss won't even look at applications if the parents come in WITH their child to ask for or drop off the application. Dropping them off at the store is fine but for the love of God do not stand there while they drop off/ask for an application. All that tells us is that you cannot stand on your own two feet like an adult and we don't want people who can't do that working for us.

Quoting Texor:

I took my son to interviews before he had a car....but I always just dropped him off.

CameraMum
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:07 AM
I took my son before he had his driver's license, I would wait in the parking lot of the store 2 building over. I didn't need. To embarrass him.
Hubris_Huntsman
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM
I saw a girl yesterday filling out an application for an mail/office supply store, while in the store, wearing cutoff jeans and a tank top. Even I knew she was wasting her time.
thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:09 AM

lol

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:09 AM

according to pot heads they have the right to smoke meow

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:10 AM

It's like kids these days just don't care or something. I was taught that when you drop off an application you dress as if you were going to be interviewed right then and there. And sometimes my bosses do do on the spot interviews.

Quoting Hubris_Huntsman: I saw a girl yesterday filling out an application for an mail/office supply store, while in the store, wearing cutoff jeans and a tank top. Even I knew she was wasting her time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Oh, they absolutely do.

And we have the right to refuse employment to those that do drugs lol.

Men are the worst. We cannot keep men for the life of us. We only have 4 men at work, because most can't tolerate bitchy customers or doing manual labor.

Quoting thetrollcat:

according to pot heads they have the right to smoke meow

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM
I wish I lived where you are at! I am one of the hardest workers you will ever find! I've been told that at every job I've ever had! I've also worked retail. I also cannot stand drugs, I don't drink or smoke cigs, no tats, and I shower regularly and look professional.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN