Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Seriously? You Do NOT Come With Your Kids Job Hunting!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Unless your child is disabled in some way, you do NOT come with them inside the store to drop off or ask for applications!

We have 11 employees at my job. It's not a big store so we need about 20- 22 to be good to go.

Yet, we are having one heck of a time finding people.

Everyone wants a job, but no one wants to work!

And then of course you get the people coming in smelling like pot, when it clearly states on our door we are a drug free company.

If they don't smell like pot, they have some insane availability. Like no weekends, not for another job, but because they simply don't want to. Uh, hello? This is retail. You WILL be expected to work weekends.

Don't get me started on people who come in looking more raggedy and ridiculous than your average bum on the street.

Yesterday I had 2 twin girls come in. With their Mom. They did not look 18, so I asked them if they were before giving them an application. I explained you have to be 18 to work for us because it's state law that you have to be 18 to work the baler and everyone is expected to work the baler at my job.

Their Mom starts bitching. Their MOM. Talking about how a "manager" told her you only had to be 16. So I call the manager over who says no, I told you you have to be 18. And the Mom argues!

Seriously. Wtf is up with people these days?

I mean, I have never had not one single issue finding a job. I don't do drugs, I can work weekends, and last but certainly not least, I DO NOT BRING MY MOMMY AND DADDY JOB HUNTING WITH ME lol.

I thought this was all no brainer type of stuff, but I guess not!

Here's to hoping we can find decent people and soon. My store hasn't been getting the attention it needs because we have no people to help us since everyone who fills out an app doesn't actually want to work.

People don't realize that even though I might "Only" be a cashier, my bosses have asked me to give me a heads up about people who drop off applications.

They want to know how they were dressed, they want to know if they smelled like drugs and they want to know if Mommy or Daddy was babying them by being right there with them. All those things are an automatic disqualification. I might just be a cashier but my bosses are going to believe anything I say over some random person coming in off the streets looking for employment.

Like I said this does not apply to disabled persons. We have someone who is deaf working with us and it was completely expected for his Mom to be there with him since none of us know sign language, but we are slowly learning. Other than that, there's no excuse.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Someone who wears a scent all the time stops smelling it.  

It probably doesn't even occur to a smoker or a hemp odor or patchoulli smelling person that they smell like that.  

That is something to be addressed at a retail position when the employer either drug tests or talks about "dress code".. 

Quoting quickbooksworm: A good employee with some common sense would k ow better than to smell like weed. I'm an accountant, it is expected we use our brains and appear professional.
Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah when we went to NYC there was an entire boutique called Hemp.  Over-priced hemp-scented lotions, balms, necklaces, etc.   

Also when I was a smoker I had some clove herbal cigarettes that smelled a lot like hemp; it was the catnip.

I think it is dumber to pass up possibly good employees because they smell like hemp. 

Quoting quickbooksworm: Pot scented perfumes and lotions?! LOL! Usually one tries NOT to smell like weed when filling out job applications. I'd circular file it just for being dumb.
Quoting Anonymous:

Um, in some locales if people are under 18 the parents have to sign off on the job in front of a manager.. My friend had to have her dad come sign off on her working at KFC when she was 16..  She also couldn't use some hot thing til she was 18 but the rest of the employees could so it was not an issue..  I understand if the store has an over 18 policy but maybe the mother misheard the manager, or maybe the manager did accidentally tell her under 18 could work there.   Have you never misspoken?   

Also smelling like pot does not = smokes pot.  There are hemp scented shampoo and sprays etc.  Tell all applicants there is a drug test, they won'y show up for the drug test if they are using.

Also, how dare you just assume people are completely able just by their appearance.   How do you know the girls weren't dyslexic or a little slow or autistic or have child RA or something else that they might need advocated for?  Sheesh.

Maybe it hasn't occurred to you but maybe you have such an issue with getting employees because YOU and YOUR BOSS are such WITCHES and no one reasonable would want to work there...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM
People seem to expect to get tue job no matter what I interview people and see this all the time, the only time its acceptable for a parent to come in is if the child is disabled. And personally idgaf wht you do on your own time but dont come in hopped up on drugs, I thought that would be a no-brainer. And if you come in not wearing interview clothes, thats automatic disqualification right there, I absolutely judge on first impressions
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Well in Arizona medical marijuana workers ARE a protected class

Quoting PPCLC:

Yup, you absolutely do have that right though I'd imagine some in here might argue, considering there are some in this group who feel pot smokers are a "protected class."

Just as an employer has the right to refuse to hire someone who smokes cigarettes, that employer has the equal right to refuse to hire someone who smokes weed or does anything hard-core.

Quoting Anonymous:

And we have the right to refuse employment to those that do drugs lol.

LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:12 PM
When I worked at a pizza parlor, any one who took an application would write down on the back their impressions of the person turning it in. The guys rated the girls in hotness even.
Bluerose1482
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM

You mean how do they get my phone number?  It's a small town, and I've had the same phone number for years.  Usually it is someone who knows someone who knows me.  

For example, the woman who called at 11:30 knew my neighbor, who gave her my home phone number. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

I own a small business and  have seen it all.  I could write a book about all the idiotic stuff that people do looking for a job, down to calling me AT HOME at 9:30 or later.  I've been awakened from a dead sleep at 11:30 at night by someone looking for a job.  I actually have a notebook that I keep for just such occassions.  I call it "The big book of people too stupid to EVER hire"--that is written on the cover.  I probably have 200 names in it and always make sure to consult it before I hire.  

Show up at lunch time, wait in line when we are obviously very busy and then ask me about a job--in the book.

Show up in anything that I wouldn't expect you to wear to work and ask about a job--in the book.

Send a family member to ask about a job--in the book.

Call me at home and ask about a job--in the book.

Ask about a job, but tell me when you will be working or what you won't be doing--in the book.

Show up high or drunk and ask about a job--in the book.

If good employees weren't so hard to come by, I'd probably have 10 businesses.

Don't even get me started on the things employees do.

How the hell do non-employees call you at home??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM

And while that is a good reason, it would not be very fair to give you weekends off and no one else simply because you don't have childcare. We all figured out babysitters for our kids, you should be able to as well. Not "you" in particular, just generally speaking.

Quoting myempyreofdirt: I can sympathize with you, but this kind of frustration is making it difficult to find jobs where I live. Employers make assumptions based on little things. My availability will be week days only. It has nothing to do with laziness. I can't work weekends because there's no one to watch my son. Dh had to have open availability for his job, so I'm the one with a limit. Many will probably look at my app, assume I'm a partier, and toss it. Just try to keep in mind not everything is as it seems. There are people out there who want to work.

myempyreofdirt
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Well I personally wouldn't be applying to a job that openly states they need employees to work weekends. That was just an example though. It seems lately employers are just getting more and more judgemental. Believe me I do understand. Some people are downright stupid, the way they dress and behave and expecting someone to hire them. My dh deals with it all the time and it's very annoying. I'm just saying that frustration seems to be screwing employers out of finding good people in my area.

Quoting Anonymous:

And while that is a good reason, it would not be very fair to give you weekends off and no one else simply because you don't have childcare. We all figured out babysitters for our kids, you should be able to as well. Not "you" in particular, just generally speaking.

Quoting myempyreofdirt: I can sympathize with you, but this kind of frustration is making it difficult to find jobs where I live. Employers make assumptions based on little things. My availability will be week days only. It has nothing to do with laziness. I can't work weekends because there's no one to watch my son. Dh had to have open availability for his job, so I'm the one with a limit. Many will probably look at my app, assume I'm a partier, and toss it. Just try to keep in mind not everything is as it seems. There are people out there who want to work.

Scarlet_begonia
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Hey what's wrong with tats? Jk,I know what you mean...I just get mine where you can cover them up. Otherwise me too lol.

Quoting Anonymous: I wish I lived where you are at! I am one of the hardest workers you will ever find! I've been told that at every job I've ever had! I've also worked retail. I also cannot stand drugs, I don't drink or smoke cigs, no tats, and I shower regularly and look professional.
PPCLC
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I'm in Arizona and there's still a slippery slope on that one here.

No matter the laws on medical mj, an employer doesn't HAVE to hire someone who smells (as in the case of what the OP has mentioned) of marijuana...or any other type of odor for that matter, including cigarette smoke.

Quoting Anonymous: Well in Arizona medical marijuana workers ARE a protected class
Quoting PPCLC:

Yup, you absolutely do have that right though I'd imagine some in here might argue, considering there are some in this group who feel pot smokers are a "protected class."

Just as an employer has the right to refuse to hire someone who smokes cigarettes, that employer has the equal right to refuse to hire someone who smokes weed or does anything hard-core.

Quoting Anonymous:

And we have the right to refuse employment to those that do drugs lol.

PPCLC
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Totally agree.

There is an aroma to many of those who actually smoke pot (versus using marijuana through some other means) that many are not aware of. It lingers on the clothing and the hair, especially, and no amount of covering it up will work.

For those who smoke it, many will say "What's wrong with that?" The problem is simple in that not everyone enjoys that aroma, including many employers who don't want someone smelling like smoke of any type.

Quoting Anonymous:

Someone who wears a scent all the time stops smelling it.  

It probably doesn't even occur to a smoker or a hemp odor or patchoulli smelling person that they smell like that.  

That is something to be addressed at a retail position when the employer either drug tests or talks about "dress code".. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)