Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

1 In 5 Of Gaza Dead Are Children

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies
1 mom liked this

1 In 5 Of Gaza Dead Are Children

Posted: Updated: 
Print Article
GAZA

His personal tragedy is not unique: the U.N. says minors make up one-fifth of the 299 Palestinians killed in 11 days of intense Israeli bombardment of the densely populated Gaza Strip, where half the 1.7 million people are under age 18.

The Israeli military says it's doing its utmost to spare civilians by urging residents to leave areas that are about to be shelled or bombed as Hamas targets. It accuses the Islamic militants of using civilians as human shields by firing rockets from civilian areas.

But even if urged to evacuate, most Gazans have no safe place to go, rights activists say.

"If you are going to attack civilian structures in densely populated areas, of course you are going to see children killed," said Bill Van Esveld, a researcher for New York-based Human Rights Watch.

Seventy-one of those killed since fighting began on July 8 were under 18, according to an Associated Press count based on information provided by Palestinian health official Ashraf al-Kidra. Forty-eight of the victims were under the age of 13.

Many of the children were killed in their own homes.

Early Friday, a 5-month-old baby boy was hit by shrapnel from a missile strike near his family compound in the southern town of Rafah. A day earlier, two brothers and a cousin were killed by shrapnel while feeding pigeons on the roof of their home.

One deadly incident drew particular outrage. Four cousins, aged 9 to 11, had been playing on the beach near Gaza City's harbor on Wednesday when a missile fired from an Israeli gunboat hit a nearby shack. The boys fled, but were killed in a second missile strike.

The images of small, bloodied bodies lying face down in the sand triggered harsh international criticism, including from U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon who said Israel must "do far more to stop civilian casualties."

The Israeli military said Hamas operatives were the target, and promised to investigate.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM
5 moms liked this
I am in no way being insensitive in what I am about to say . Please nobody take it wrong. First, in war nobody truly "wins". If the world could know peace, it would be wonderful. But there will always be war. However, Israel TOLD the civilians in Gaza to leave because they were going to be bombing. Do people expect Israel to sit back and let their country be attacked? Those people need take responsibility and get their kids out of there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Quoting Anonymous: I am in no way being insensitive in what I am about to say . Please nobody take it wrong. First, in war nobody truly "wins". If the world could know peace, it would be wonderful. But there will always be war. However, Israel TOLD the civilians in Gaza to leave because they were going to be bombing. Do people expect Israel to sit back and let their country be attacked? Those people need take responsibility and get their kids out of there.

They told them to leave, then shut the borders so they couldn't get out. Where were they going to go?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM
I don't get it. Haven't Hamas militants been bombing Israel for weeks and Israel is now protecting itself? Do I have that wrong?

Quoting Anonymous: I am in no way being insensitive in what I am about to say . Please nobody take it wrong. First, in war nobody truly "wins". If the world could know peace, it would be wonderful. But there will always be war. However, Israel TOLD the civilians in Gaza to leave because they were going to be bombing. Do people expect Israel to sit back and let their country be attacked? Those people need take responsibility and get their kids out of there.
Book.Strumpet
by Fountain.Pirate on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:37 PM

It's not a new tactic, it's been used throughout time.  Hurt them where it counts, and they will bend to your will.  It's a war, and in war the objective is to win by any means possible.  Sadly, this will continue to happen in other wars long after even our 5x removed great grandchildren's generation are all dead and gone.

Both sides are guilty of atrocities. :(  Both sides want to win.

You have your way. I have my way. 
         As for the right way, the correct way, 
and America's way being the divinley chosen way, 
                        The only way,
     It's not possible, for it simply does not exist.

-Nietzsche with a Strumpets twist-

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Israel keeps taking more and more Palestinian land, Hamas bombs those areas in an attempt to get them back, Israel fires back with bigger force to keep it.

Quoting Anonymous: I don't get it. Haven't Hamas militants been bombing Israel for weeks and Israel is now protecting itself? Do I have that wrong?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Is it land Palestine previously took from Israel?

Quoting Anonymous:

Israel keeps taking more and more Palestinian land, Hamas bombs those areas in an attempt to get them back, Israel fires back with bigger force to keep it.

Quoting Anonymous: I don't get it. Haven't Hamas militants been bombing Israel for weeks and Israel is now protecting itself? Do I have that wrong?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM

No

Quoting Anonymous: Is it land Palestine previously took from Israel?
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM
You are correct. Israel is protecting itself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM
What about before 1946? I suppose I could google but several years ago I tried to get up to speed but it seemed all resources reported with a bias.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN