Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not visiting your parents because they won't let you sleep together??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 782 Replies
2 moms liked this
My cousin is 35 and her and her wife have 3 kids. They're lesbians. Her parents are conservative Christians and they don't approve of her lifestyle, but they love her and don't ever bash it or bring it up. They are so eager to know and see their grandchildren often.

However, they draw the line at allowing them to share a bed when they visit. They don't feel it's morally right. So, they don't go visit them- they live in a small small town and the nearest hotel is 35 mins away, on top of a 5 hour drive for them to see them to get there. My aunt and uncle can't afford to go visit them more than once or twice a year, so that's all the kids see their grandparents.

What do you think of what they're doing? I think they're being petty at the expense of their kids knowing their grandparents.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Texor
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM
47 moms liked this

I wouldn't visit either.

BrutalTruth
by urbullyisshowing on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM
18 moms liked this
Omg, really? They're thirty freaking five. I wouldn't visit either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM
30 moms liked this
Its their house their rules. My sister is a lesbian. My mom has told my sister if she brings a gf to her house, they will sleep in separate rooms, no holding hands, no kissing, etc. My sister comes without her gf BC her gf can't afford the airfare.
onethentwins
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM
109 moms liked this

I think the grandparents have the right to choose what happens in their home based on their moral values, and your cousin and her wife have the right not to let someone else treat them poorly based on their own moral values. It's not a petty thing, it's adults making moral choices that are important to them.   If I were your cousin, I wouldn't stay in my parents house either.

incogNinja
by Whofflé on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM
16 moms liked this
Sis needs to respect their house. Sorry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:05 PM
20 moms liked this
Don't be surprised when she stops visiting, period. Asking your kid to pretend they're not a couple is gross.

Quoting Anonymous: Its their house their rules. My sister is a lesbian. My mom has told my sister if she brings a gf to her house, they will sleep in separate rooms, no holding hands, no kissing, etc. My sister comes without her gf BC her gf can't afford the airfare.
Texor
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:05 PM
16 moms liked this

And they don't have to visit them if they don;t like the rules, which is what is going on. 

There are consequenses to putting your foot down like this and this case, it's not getting to see the grandchildren as often as you'd like. 

Quoting Anonymous: Its their house their rules. My sister is a lesbian. My mom has told my sister if she brings a gf to her house, they will sleep in separate rooms, no holding hands, no kissing, etc. My sister comes without her gf BC her gf can't afford the airfare.

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:06 PM
17 moms liked this

I do think it's silly not to allow them to sleep together when they're married, but unless they're saying you can't bring your wife over when you come, I think cousin and her wife can suck it up for a couple days. Not sleeping together for a couple of days is not going to damage their marrage.

Hubris_Huntsman
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:06 PM
72 moms liked this
The grandparents have chosen to make rules which cause them not to see their grandkids often. I guess their rules are more important than their relationship with their grandkids.
Texor
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:06 PM
11 moms liked this

She's not disrespecting anything by not visiting them.  That's her choice.

Quoting incogNinja: Sis needs to respect their house. Sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN