Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My house is getting a makeover. Help me choose (pics)

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:24 PM
  • 53 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

I can't choose a paint color and I need to hurry. Things are moving along and in the next couple of days I need to have chosen and bought paint to put on these walls. I don't like the colors that are there now though. Not like they are anyways.

I wanted a basic neutral brown or tan but I'm feeling like it's too much brown. I need color somewhere. I like green but would it be too much in a large room like that?
I want different colors but I don't know where or how to separate everything with such an open floor plan.
Which walks would be "accent" walls and how do I choose a color if I do that?

Help please? I'm really indecisive. I've been looking online but I just don't know what to do. Hopefully that's enough pics so you can get an idea of the two rooms. One living room opens up entirely to the kitchen as well.
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:26 PM
I would go with #1 and do a green color on the stair wall. I have an olive green accent wall and I love it. My other walls are very close to the color swatch you have.
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:27 PM
I know the carpets are bad. The same stains keep coming back. We were having ten cleaned every 6-8 weeks but we skipped the last one because we knew this was coming.
This is the reality of shirt sales and foreclosures, and cheap materials.
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Then what about the other living room? Maybe green around the fireplace? My couch and curtains are brown too. I mean eventually I can change that, but I'm even more indecisive about window treatments. Ugh.

Quoting almondpigeon: I would go with #1 and do a green color on the stair wall. I have an olive green accent wall and I love it. My other walls are very close to the color swatch you have.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM
Maybe that half wall beside the fire place? I'm pretty bad at figuring this stuff out, lol. I pick the colors and dh worries about the details :)

I wouldn't know where to start with curtains. Window treatments are completely beyond me. All of my Windows are naked

Quoting cntrdmom: Then what about the other living room? Maybe green around the fireplace? My couch and curtains are brown too. I mean eventually I can change that, but I'm even more indecisive about window treatments. Ugh.

Quoting almondpigeon: I would go with #1 and do a green color on the stair wall. I have an olive green accent wall and I love it. My other walls are very close to the color swatch you have.
Hello07
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you thought bout doing. Light grey throughout instead I tan? It would probably make the house look larger:
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I just bought some to help with the light and glare on the tv. They were cheap. lol. They're a chocolate brown though. The rest of my windows are naked as well.

Quoting almondpigeon: Maybe that half wall beside the fire place? I'm pretty bad at figuring this stuff out, lol. I pick the colors and dh worries about the details :)

I wouldn't know where to start with curtains. Window treatments are completely beyond me. All of my Windows are naked

Quoting cntrdmom: Then what about the other living room? Maybe green around the fireplace? My couch and curtains are brown too. I mean eventually I can change that, but I'm even more indecisive about window treatments. Ugh.

evelynolivesmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Agree, I love green on walls.

cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Actually yes. I don't know how I feel about the grey. I would like grey in my bedroom but I don't know about the whole house. I know it's really popular right now though.
I'm not opposed to green or blue even. Just not crazy or over powering. I also don't want to go too incredibly light because the kids are still young and hand prints. I can go sort of dark I think because there's so much light too.

Quoting Hello07: Have you thought bout doing. Light grey throughout instead I tan? It would probably make the house look larger:
Lindsey1126
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM
What about #1 with olive green trim?
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM
I have to paint the trim anyways, but I was just going to keep it the same through out the house and go with white. I've got so many colors already and so much more to figure out. Lol.
I considered #1 or #2 on the bottom half and green on the top with chair rail....that's so much work though and a little outdated from what I hear.

Quoting Lindsey1126: What about #1 with olive green trim?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)