Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

does anyone ever think your poorer than you actually are ?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:40 PM
  • 40 Replies

lol I'm not really pissed off by this, i actually think it's kind of funny , in a way. every so often when I'm shopping in I guess in a so- called upscale store and get really bad service or worse.

one time i was in a local "upscale" toy store that i've dropped hundreds of dollars in and the owners wife was very clearly following me around the store.

today i was in nordstroms childrens shoe department looking for back to school shoes for my daughter, there was absolutely nobody else in there at the time and two salesgirls on duty at the time, both were smirking at me and neither one of them came to wait on me, apparently i looked too poor to afford the lousy 48 dollar shoes i was looking at.

this doesn't happen to me every time I shop, not even close, but enough times for me to take notice of, I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination but I'm certainly not anywhere remotely close to be so poor that I can't afford a lousy pair of shoes or toys for my child. I have no trouble spending money on things I want and or need .

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Apparently you don't dress very well?
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! It works to our advantage a lot of times though - with car shopping, furniture shopping, when we bought our house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM
No. But I also don't shop at places that are examining my wallet the second I walk through the door.
luvmybug
by Amanda on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM
I guess that has never happened to me before.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM
I can honestly say that this has never happened to me.
noturavemom
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:46 PM
Quoting Anonymous: Apparently you don't dress very well?
i'm a very casual person, today i had on a pair of sandals (not flip flops) capri pants, and a blue peasant top
southernwldchld
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

No, but my neighbor thinks I'm rich because I have so many deliveries. No, just lazy with amazon prime...

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Probably. I have snake bites and use a wheelchair. People instantly assume I'm either an army wife or live in the projects.

Funny how they think the two look the same.. ha.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM
That happens to me too. I look young, have 3 small children and lots of times we dress very casual and not many name brands. I will splurge on certain things and my husband makes a very good living.

Even my friends thought we were poor for a long time. They know now it's not the case.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM
No, actually the complete opposite. We're technically low income the past few years, but manage our money very well so we never "have to wait til payday" or "oh I would go but I can't afford gas" etc that you always hear poor people say. So everyone just assumes we're normal successful middle class people and they have no clue. And at stores and restaurants like you're speaking of, no I'm always treated well or ignored depending on what type of place it is.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)