Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why can't you just pump??

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:10 AM
  • 76 Replies
3 moms liked this

It irritates the crap out of me when people say that. I was told "just pump" more than once, even after I completely stopped responding to a pump. Even while painfully engorged after a long day away form baby (twice), I didn't produce more than about three drops after a half hour of pumping.

The average output when using a pump is not enough to feed a baby. Some people are fortunate enough to be able to pump exclusively, but most aren't. It's also ridiculous to take issue with the fact that someone doesn't want to deal with all of the clean up that comes with a pump! "Just pump". smh

by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I exclusively pumped. 99% of the benefit, 0% of the public indecency. Buttt...I also bought a mack daddy pump lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this
That irritates me too! I will never feed my baby a bottle, and everyone can just deal. I do pump everyday because I work but when I'm with my baby, I nurse him. Bottles are for when I'm not around.
lovinglife1622
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:15 AM
I agree with you while I could pump a good amount when I was away from my daughter I couldn't pump with her because she nursed to frequent for me to be able to pump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Pumping SUCKS!!!!!!!!! I went to formula because I couldn't pump enough once returning to work. Pumping at work was WORSE.

MonarchMom22
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree with OP 100%   Pumping is a back-up method at best, painful and impractical for many, many women. And the physical contact is a huge part of the BF experience.  Skin-to-skin contact has been proven to stimulate brain activity in newborns and improved their development.  

BTW - there is no "public indecency" in BF in my opinion.  Just a woman caring for her baby as nature designed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM
I don't understand why someone would randomly say this to you unsolicited.
Cocomicah
by time lord on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM
I physically couldn't pump. It used to aggravate me when people would say that.
katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM
That bothers me too. I tried hard to breastfeed DS, and I pumped constantly between feedings to try to keep my supply up, but I dried up anyway.
MamaRae85
by *you're on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I was able to exclusively pump for a couple of weeks (which was flippin' awesome!), and made sure to pump extra, but eventually I didn't respond at all. I was so sad about it! I did, as you referenced, have an average pump, though. Which one did you have?

Quoting Anonymous: I exclusively pumped. 99% of the benefit, 0% of the public indecency. Buttt...I also bought a mack daddy pump lol

maxswolfsuit
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Two of my best friends worked hard for months to get breast feeding and pumping to work for them and it just wasn't possible for either.

I struggled with my first, but he did end up latching and after that it went great. If I hadn't been so close to two other people working a lot harder than I did and not being able to do it I suppose I could have ended up being one of those women who thinks anyone who tries should just be able to breastfeed. But I hope not. It's so arrogant to assume people just aren't trying hard enough when it doesn't work out.

being a new mother is hard enough with other mothers telling you to try harder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN