Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

tree roots above ground?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
This new place has tree roots EVERY WHERE in the yard. Didn't notice this since the grass was tall. Now I have a broke push mower since it hit them. What can I do about these roots? There's none by the tree itself, just throughout the yard.

I've read if you cut them it can damage the tree...so I'm at a loss. Either cut them and possibly damage the trees, or not cut them and have a chance it messes the blades up again. I'm also worried my 3 year old will trip over them.

If i call the company will they be able to get the owner to do something about it?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM
I guess if you rent ask the landlord what to do. Contact an arborist
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:39 AM
It is not at all uncommon, just mow around them
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Thank you

Quoting weeping_angel: I guess if you rent ask the landlord what to do. Contact an arborist
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:39 AM
You can easily cut 10-20% of a tree annually. More than that, you risk damage to the tree. I would assume the roots work the same as the canopy
Missdameanor
by Not-a-felony on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
We had maple trees that were planted in 1942 in our yard with exposed roots like you are decribing. We eventually brought in top soil and reseeded. That was 20 years ago and still no problems.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM
It's hard to mow around them. It's everywhere.

Quoting peanutsmommy1: It is not at all uncommon, just mow around them
MilkLover0203
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM
I would cut around them, and trim the grass with a weed eater. That's what I do. It looks like fucking Jumanji in my backyard.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM
That's what I might have to do. Just weed eat the whole yard. The front isn't that bad but man the back is just horrible. I've never had issues with tree roots before.

Quoting MilkLover0203: I would cut around them, and trim the grass with a weed eater. That's what I do. It looks like fucking Jumanji in my backyard.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Bring in new material to cover them. Or weed eat around them.
MilkLover0203
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Thankfully my problem is isolated to one patch, but yeah. You can't break your mower going over them. That's a costly fix. Just trim it with a weed eater. I have lawn work to do. Waaaaah! It's so hot.

Quoting Anonymous: That's what I might have to do. Just weed eat the whole yard. The front isn't that bad but man the back is just horrible. I've never had issues with tree roots before.

Quoting MilkLover0203: I would cut around them, and trim the grass with a weed eater. That's what I do. It looks like fucking Jumanji in my backyard.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)