Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yorkie biting

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM
  • 21 Replies
So we adopted a Yorkie
It was us or the pound

I was told he was house broken And loved kids

He isn't house broken
And he keeps snapping at my kids

A few times he has drawn blood

He has his rabies shot

But idk how to make him quit

My children aren't running up on him or being rough

If he's laying in the floor they sit down beside him and go to pet him and he bites them

We are home #6 or #7 so I really don't want to rehome him again

But I can't handle much more of biting

So I could use some advice :)

Eta:: we've had him a month now

He likes to run away too
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Shelter time. I'm sorry, but unprovoked bites are are cause for taking to the shelter or putting him down. 

uhhnogirl
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:06 PM
This. Sorry.

Or you could try an obedience school.

I've taken dogs there for a live in 6 week course to be potty trained and to know basic commands.
Idk if they would even take him if he's aggressive though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Shelter time. I'm sorry, but unprovoked bites are are cause for taking to the shelter or putting him down. 

Cocomicah
by time lord on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM
I'm sorry. As much as I know it probably hurts your heart, it should probably go back.
Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM

how old is he?  I would recommend a professional trainer or behaviourist. 

2boysmom48
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM

if you are home 6 or 7, its obvious you were lied to about the behavior of the dog. how old is he? its a shame because its not  his fault that he was not properly trained from the begining, could try some doggie classes to help with his behavior, otherwise if he is biting and can not be stopped might have to go to a home without kids, but I have heard that classes/ and proper training can do wonders. good luck. 

Mommie_2_Boys
by Steph on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Around a year old

Quoting Lordgodempress:

how old is he?  I would recommend a professional trainer or behaviourist. 

Mommie_2_Boys
by Steph on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM
I've thought about it
But idk if I cAn afford it due to a emergency situation and I'm helping take care of some Additional kiddos

Quoting uhhnogirl: This. Sorry.

Or you could try an obedience school.

I've taken dogs there for a live in 6 week course to be potty trained and to know basic commands.
Idk if they would even take him if he's aggressive though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Rust.n.Gears
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM
I would be going to formal training classes
Mommie_2_Boys
by Steph on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM
I know it's not his fault it's why I keep trying but it's getting really stressful

Quoting 2boysmom48:

if you are home 6 or 7, its obvious you were lied to about the behavior of the dog. how old is he? its a shame because its not  his fault that he was not properly trained from the begining, could try some doggie classes to help with his behavior, otherwise if he is biting and can not be stopped might have to go to a home without kids, but I have heard that classes/ and proper training can do wonders. good luck. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Our dachshund is like this. We won't rehome him. He came from an abusive puppy farm. He has issues which we are now aware of after adopting him.

We work with him to make sure he knows he is loved. And we have figured out his triggers- touching his butt is one. So, we avoid petting his little bottom until we are sitting together and then we work on full body pets. He is getting better. :) We'll keep working with him. We aren't just going to give up on him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)