Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do working moms complain about not having "Alone Time"?

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM
  • 338 Replies
2 moms liked this

portion.

Here's the question: WHY DO A LOT OF WORKING MOTHERS COMPLAIN ABOUT NOT HAVING ALONE TIME MORE THAN A LOT OF STAY AT HOME MOMS DO?

I have a few friends who stay at home and a lot who work. The working moms complain a whole lot more about never having alone time. With that being said, I am not saying one is better than the other. I'm only saying I hear more complaining. My older sister has done both and she complained more about "alone time" when she was working. Now that she's home with her 3 kids and never ever alone ,I don't hear her complain as much.The only thing she complains about, is being exhausted. My little sister who has one child and works full time is always complaining about never having alone time. MY friends who work complain about never having alone time but go out every weekend or so. I am home with a 7yr old,4yr old and  almost 1 yr old. I work from home so that I can be with them. I am going 24/7 with my kids,my house,and my business.Wherever I go ,they go with me. MY hubby works and doesn't help much at home because he's tired. I don't get much alone time. Maybe a shower by myself once in a while, the extra 2 hours I stay awake at night to unwind and watch a show by myself, or a quick run to pick up a pizza from down the street. My hubby and I do go out with friends once in a while but my about to be 1 yr old goes with us because she is still BF'ing.

I really don't understand the complaining. Both working moms and SAHM's have it hard but the majority who gets more alone time complains about lack of it. 

by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IDGAF-
by NO1CURR on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:14 PM
55 moms liked this

The same reasons SAHM complain about financial problems....? (sarcasm). This is seriously like someone saying you don't have the right to bitch about money because you don't make any.

How do you know how much free time every working mom gets? If I'm not being hounded by one of my bosses, I'm with my kid unless her granparents take her. I go from a office full of bitchy women/a 12 hour shoot, to a kid who act like she's on speed 24/7. Do I like working? Yes. That's why I chose to go back to work. I'm sure you like staying at home but there are still crappy parts of both.

We all have the right to complain when we feel shitty. End of story.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM
4 moms liked this

It was most likely your choice to stay home so you shouldn't complain either. And I hear SAHM complaining more than anyone.

zeenah
by Zarah on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM
24 moms liked this
I don't think working counts as alone time. Alone time to me is doing things you enjoy and things that make you happy. I think all moms (dads too) deserve that time so they can refill themselves so they don't run empty keeping the family and/or their boss happy.

Eta. I'm a sahm too
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM
13 moms liked this

I consider alone time "me time".  And being at work is not alone time or me time. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

So only sahms get to complain?

Cocomicah
by time lord on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM
5 moms liked this
I can imagine working is a lot harder in general. As a sahm I have the power to create free time, alone time, play time, sleep time.. I'm a time God in my home. If I worked everyday (as my poor husband does) I would probably never have free time (since my poor husband never seems to have any either). Just saying.
mombear55
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM
I get depressed when I go back to work on my days off. Why? Because I don't see my s/o for days til I'm off. I see the kids more but I miss him too. We work opposite shifts but I work late late hours. I come home he's asleep. He wakes to go to work, I'm asleep. That's my complaint. I don't get to spend enough time with my love.But there's nothing we can do about it but deal with it and keep on loving each other.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM
10 moms liked this

So you're bitching and complaining about other people bitching and complaining. CM logic.

snarkius
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

If I had to work full-time I would probably complain too.  Even when I only worked part-time hours when I was self-employed I never felt like I had alone relaxing time.  I had adult time which was great, but that was different than alone time.

At least when I stay at home with the children, there are moments when I can put on my headphones, listen to music, and feel like I have alone time while they are playing or napping.

TrouserMouser
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Working is not alone time...lol. That being said, I have never once complained about not getting alone time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)