Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Encouraging sons to get a 4 year degree and beyond. Encouraging daughters to only get an associates.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies

Last night we had our neighbors over to make smores. We were talking about many different topics, we got on the subject of higher education. They were saying they will encourage their kids to get post high school education. However, they only want their sons to get a 4 year degree or higher. There daughters it doesn't matter, they think an associates is adequate since they will be stay at home moms. I thought it was strange. What if their daughter don't want to be stay at home moms? DH quickly changed the subject because he knew I was irritated. 

I don't mind if someone wants to be a sahm. I was one for many years, but I couldn't imagine limiting my daughters like that. If my daughters want a 4 year degree or higher I will support their decision. If they wanted an associates, I would support them. If they wanted to be a sahm, I would support that decision as well.

What are your thoughts? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I will encourage my DD to reach as high as she wants to go. Whether that means being an artist or a cowboy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
The problem with that way of thinking is divorce and deaths happen. Then what. I want my daughters to be able to support themselves and their offspring no matter what life throws at them.
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM
If they're going to be sahms, why do they even need an associates? Strange logic.
mommaponch
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

That kind of garbage makes me furious.  I will encourage my children to get the education they need for the life they want to lead.  And even if they want to be stay at home parents I will still encourage an education first.  I would only recommend a child "only" get an associates if that's the degree that best fits their career path.  As an example, my husband has an associates in computer programming, in that field it made more sense for him to get the associates since the employers want a degree, but experience matters more than which degree, so it made more sense for him to finish two years earlier and get those two years on the job experience under his belt.

kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM

that its fucking sexist.

JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

How old are their kids? If they are young, I wonder if they will change their opinion when they hear their daughters own dreams and see their capabilities. If not, it's sad to limit them in that way.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM
I secretly hope my DD is a sahm and the boys marry sahms, but I am like you. I will support them with whatever they want to do!
Right now for DD that's wanting to be a doctor. She is only 6, but I encourage her, guide her in how to realistically make it happen and not be just a dream, and motivate her in every way i can!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybear91
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Agreed

Quoting ame85: I will encourage my DD to reach as high as she wants to go. Whether that means being an artist or a cowboy.
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM

They're raising their daughters for failure.  I can't stand parents who want to force shit like that onto their kids.  It should be considered child abuse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Their oldest is a daughter she is 15. Their second oldest is a son he's 12, then a girl who is 11, and a boy who is 7.

Quoting JulyBabies:

How old are their kids? If they are young, I wonder if they will change their opinion when they hear their daughters own dreams and see their capabilities. If not, it's sad to limit them in that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)