Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Will you live?

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM
  • 21 Replies

With out technology?!

i just saw the greatest thing today outside my window a huge group of neighborhood kids having a bicycle race around the whole block (ages were around 7-13) and not one had a phone or tablet with them they were just racing elminating people until it was the final 2. This reminds me of being a kid just running around getting dirty and Cuts and just having adventures. When my baby girl grows up she will have no technology until she is a teen and goes out with friends then she will have a cell phone and a computer for school work (but it's a family computer)

but my question really is.... How would you react if technology was ripped away you only had 1 tv for the family, a home phone no cells, and then 1 computer only for work or school.

and would your kids have technology now or would you eliminate technology and encourage them to go outside and play in this age of time.

i guess what would you do if we all transported to the back 90s

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I didn't even discover the internet until I was 37 years old. I never owned a smart phone until I was 42 and I just got my first tablet unless my ancient kindle fire counts.

Im pretty positive I would survive.

On a different note.. My son has his own computer, a DS, Kindle fire, and an Xbox. He would much rather spend his entire day in our swimming pool. I think if you choose to not at least instruct your child on the use of care of technology you are doing them a huge dis service. Especially when they are older. Technology is used in almost every single job class. Its important to have knowledge and the skill set to use the basic stuff.

not taking your child outside, planning outside activities, or encouraging outside play is why kids sit in the house lazy all day. Owning tech toys has nothing to do with it.  JMO

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM
We have done this, but more. No tv, no internet, no cell phone.
I still have no cell phone by choice.
We have tv now and I do love my internet. But we will probably go without again. It's nice to reset sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
staci1103
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Well I was born in 1970 so I grew up without technology.  No microwave, just a house phone with no caller ID. No computer.  We had to actually research things through books and such...gasp!  I could do it again but I think I would miss the microwave for heating my tea water.

Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Dude, i have a E71 and over 400 books.
I would do just fine without technology.
Where I'm from; you're blessed to have electricity for 5 hours a week.
I'd be good to go.
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Lol at back to the 90s. Honey, I grew up in the 70s and 80s and we were lucky if we had 2 channels you could see clearly. We didn't have a microwave till I was in Jr high. I'm pretty sure I'd live.
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I was born in 69, so I grew up without all the little gadgets we have today. I love my little gadgets and would not willingly give them up. 

supermama322
by Kaylee on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM
We all have lots of technology but we also play outside just about all day every day. We're not slaves to our gadgets. We'd be fine without it but we do enjoy having it.
kiwiskiwi29
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I'd die.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM
I couldn't part with my Kindle. I need to be able to have all my books and easy access to more of them.

I'm still waiting for Amazon to send a rep out, to thank me for keeping them in business, lol.
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I lived off the grid for a good four years. As in, heating water over a fire to take a bath, making your own candles to read your evening book by, off the grid. I had no problems with it at all. That's not to say I don't prefer my modern conveniences these days. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)