Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 13 year old dd and 9 year old son share a room

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 81 Replies
My 13 year old dd and 9 year old son share a room. They have bunk beds and split the closet and dresser. We live in a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom. Peoples reactions when they find out range from indifference to shock/horror that I would have siblings of the opposite sex share a room. My ex husband even *tried* to use it against me to get custody.

I see nothing wrong with it and plan to continue to have them share a room until we save the money required for a down payment on a larger home. It is perfectly legal and I am at no risk of losing custody over it. If the judge would have said otherwise I would make other arrangements.

This is my confession.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Back in the day, my mom's brother and sister shared a room until well up into their teens. This was in the 60s and no one thought it was weird.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Well that's good but my 14year old dd and 11 year old ds will never share a room.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:57 PM
They have shared a room since the get go. I have always rented 2 bedroom places as they are significantly cheaper and it allows us to save more money for our final goal of owning a home one day.

Quoting Leissaintexas: Back in the day, my mom's brother and sister shared a room until well up into their teens. This was in the 60s and no one thought it was weird.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Right on.

Quoting Anonymous: Well that's good but my 14year old dd and 11 year old ds will never share a room.
Mandymb
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:58 PM
It's not ideal but if it's the only choice I don't see a problem with it.
Augustab1991
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Don't see a problem with it
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:01 PM
We could probably afford a three bedroom but that would be a couple hundred dollars plus extra utilities that we wouldn't be able to put in savings. We are so sick of renting and paying other peoples house payments.

Quoting Mandymb: It's not ideal but if it's the only choice I don't see a problem with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this
We've never had an issue :) I've never seen a problem with it either.

Quoting Augustab1991: Don't see a problem with it
Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:06 PM
I don't see a problem.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:07 PM

DH shared a room with his older sister (by 5ish years).

It wasn't too big of a deal when he was younger, but when he started to enter puberty it became uncomfortable. He told me once, he woke up when he was about 11/12 and had an erection. His sister saw it and freaked out.

She also freaked out when he had a wet dream. it's like..."he can't control it"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)