Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gluten sensitivity

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
My doctor's office called with results of my blood work and she said it said I had a gluten sensitivity. I thought there was not a blood test. I know there is one for Celiac disease which I don't have. I do have a lot of stomach problems and get super tired after I eat lots of carbs. It sounds obvious, but I'm still skeptical because I didn't think a blood test existed for this. Im sure he didn't make it up,it's just a lot of effort and money for something I'm not sure about. Would you just cut it out of your diet?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM
Bump
happymama0609
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM
There was a study that came out not too long ago saying the gluten intolerance might not even be real. If you aren't sure you can schedule a 2nd opinion and get another test done
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this
As a person with a gluten sensitivity, I say yes. There are things they can look for in your blood work that can suggest a sensitivity.

Take the gluten out of your diet for a while and then eat it again. You'll be certain at that point it's best to get it out of your system because you'll be so miserable after reintroducing it into your system.

If I eat gluten now, I feel AWFUL, like a mac truck hit me, backed over me and hit me again. I am truly amazed at how terrible I feel just from ingesting gluten.
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM
The study was with 37 subjects, hardly enough to really draw any legitimate medical conclusions.

It is very real and those of us who have it know all too well how gluten affects us.

Quoting happymama0609: There was a study that came out not too long ago saying the gluten intolerance might not even be real. If you aren't sure you can schedule a 2nd opinion and get another test done
TisHerself
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM

There is debate whether gluten sensitivity exists as a PP stated. As far as I am aware, there is not a test for gluten intolerance or sensitivity. The people I know with diagnosed Celiac's had both a positive blood test and an endoscopy. 

Having said that, dd has very obvious signs of an intolerance to gluten, despite negative blood tests for both Celiac's and wheat allergy. Eliminating it from her diet has cleared up her symptoms. It doesn't hurt to eliminate it from your diet, then see how you feel. It's a bit if an adjustment as far as food prep is concerned, but not terrible. 

Good luck! 

DaBuzz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:52 PM

My SO was diagnosed with a gluten allergy but they used a different test to determine. They injected his back with the allergen and positive allergic reactions appeared for numerous foods. Since he's stopped eating gluten his symptoms have nearly disappeared, they would disappear all together if he'd follow it 100% ;) He "cheats" sometimes and his symptoms come back to haunt him, and he regrets it.

I would absolutely follow the doctor just to see how you feel after cutting out gluten (which, I'm sorry, it's not easy to do). See how you feel, if you improve then you have your answer :)

MomStepmom555
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Since you are having stomach issues and fatigue, I would cut it out and see if you feel better.

happymama0609
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:55 PM
*sigh* I said MIGHT NOT.

As I said before, if she isn't sure she can just have a retest done. Or she could test out a gluten free lifestyle for a little while and see if she feels any better that way.

Quoting Andrewsmom70: The study was with 37 subjects, hardly enough to really draw any legitimate medical conclusions.

It is very real and those of us who have it know all too well how gluten affects us.

Quoting happymama0609: There was a study that came out not too long ago saying the gluten intolerance might not even be real. If you aren't sure you can schedule a 2nd opinion and get another test done
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:57 PM
I have no idea about the test....but I stopped ingesting gluten and a lot of my health problems disappeared. Of course, gluten free means no doritos or no cake, so I fell off that wagon pretty quickly.

It wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:57 PM
I realize you said might not. I was just pointing out the study wasn't worth much on its own merit. I wasn't attacking you.

Quoting happymama0609: *sigh* I said MIGHT NOT.

As I said before, if she isn't sure she can just have a retest done. Or she could test out a gluten free lifestyle for a little while and see if she feels any better that way.

Quoting Andrewsmom70: The study was with 37 subjects, hardly enough to really draw any legitimate medical conclusions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)