Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Herbal-natural-homeopathic freaks come hither!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
My son has ADHD and I want him off Meds. We have been through just about everything natural and drug and I hate the drugs. I don't like the side effects and was never a fan to begin with. I'm desperate to find good quality supplements. Please share any knowledge you have. I'd much appreciate

Here are some new things I plan to begin for my son:
Daily Epsom salt baths as the salts contain magnesium
A new magnesium calcium and zinc supplement
A new vitamin c supplement.

Any resources, brands, as natural as can be, even DIY advice is much appreciated!!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM
No red dye 40 or yellow 26

It's best to stay away from all dyes.

Protein load him in the morning.

Give him coffee as the caffiene is a natural stimulate which is what his brain needs.

It will slow his down.

A very strict schedule with little screen time.
GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Also, don't make this about you.

If these things don't work get the boy his meds.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they don't help.
Reading.Rainbow
by LeVar on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Coffee that has 30-50 mgs of caffine, don't go all the way up to 100 though

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM
I need to find a way to sweeten the flavor of the coffee without using sugar. We got rid of dyes eons ago. I buy the Annie's brand Mac and cheese for him because it has no yellow dyes. He's also a picky eater.

Quoting GhettoKoolAide: No red dye 40 or yellow 26

Give him coffee as the caffiene is a natural stimulate which is what his brain needs.

It will slow his down.

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Agreed. I tried everything (including what GhettoKoolAide) mentioned and nothing worked. DS is now on Ritalin 10MG at least once per day but up to 3x per day and it works for us. Since nothing else did, I went for the meds. This wasn't about me. I hate the idea of medications but I also hate the idea of my son not learning either, and that's what was happening.

Quoting GhettoKoolAide: Also, don't make this about you. If these things don't work get the boy his meds. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they don't help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM
This def isn't about me. The problem is we have tried the stimulants and it makes my son have twitches really bad. Now he's on psychotropics and it makes him twitch worse and the doctor have him a drug for patients who have Parkinson's disease. My son is 6. His well being is my #1 top priority. He was being aggressive and hitting kids and adults. He's come a long way. We are also doing neuro feedback therapy with the therapist.

Quoting GhettoKoolAide: Also, don't make this about you.

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM
A little sugar won't do much damage.

But you can always use vanilla Greek yogurt ( high protein as well!) ice and blend it into a drink!

Quoting Anonymous: I need to find a way to sweeten the flavor of the coffee without using sugar. We got rid of dyes eons ago. I buy the Annie's brand Mac and cheese for him because it has no yellow dyes. He's also a picky eater.

Quoting GhettoKoolAide: No red dye 40 or yellow 26

It will slow his down.

mommaof697
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I was told one mom sprayed lavender oil on her son's pillow at night (then flipped the pillow over) it helps him relax. She also gave him mountain dew (I know it is horrible) but it slowed him waaayyyy down so he could be normal. And she kept him active always doing something not just sitting.

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM
A lot of parents make it about them and your post seemed about you.

I realize now that its not.

Also massages are great as well.

Have you tried teaching meditation?

Quoting Anonymous: This def isn't about me. The problem is we have tried the stimulants and it makes my son have twitches really bad. Now he's on psychotropics and it makes him twitch worse and the doctor have him a drug for patients who have Parkinson's disease. My son is 6. His well being is my #1 top priority. He was being aggressive and hitting kids and adults. He's come a long way. We are also doing neuro feedback therapy with the therapist.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM
My son has tried both stimulants and psychotropics and both make him shake really bad. Like he jerks his arm all day and his head twitches a lot. He's having Parkinson's and Tourette's type side effects

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Agreed. I tried everything (including what GhetooKoolAide) mentioned and nothing worked. DS is now on Ritalin 10MG at least once per day but up to 3x per day and it works for us. Since nothing else did, I went for the meds. This wasn't about me. I hate the idea of medications but I also hate the idea of my son not learning either, and that's what was happening.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)