Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did I Go To Far? Fight with Mom...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Hey -

I have never had a fight with my Mom before where I just put my foot down but today she pushed and I responded with more of reflexes than anything else. Since this is a first for me, is it ok?

Details:

My Mom gets really wound-up with simple discussions that I, quite frankly, find adorably funny. Who gets heated over the plot of "The Haves and Have Nots"? She does. To me, thats funny and I dont take it serriously.

So we were watching Mad Men and I noticed that Don was wearing loafers to work in the back yard. I said, "Hey, he could have worn boots.... I think the writers are trying to make a statement about who he is..." My Mom then says a lot... about how men in the 50s didnt own tennis shoes and they wore loafers to work in the yard, go fishing, etc. 

I stated... thats ridiculous, they had boots back then. To break the argument we asked my uncle and he said they wore boots. She was already excited by this moment but him agreeing with me made it so much worse. She started yelling at me, told me my problem is that I dont listen, and to SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP.

At that point, the record stopped. I followed her and stated, "You will NOT talk to me that way. Do I make myself clear? I do not speak to you that way and you DO NOT speak to me that way. You WILL NOT be direspectful." She keeps saying SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP. .. though, I think she got the point. I highly doubt she will do it again.

So what do you guys think? 

Trivial. Yes, I know.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopeful_leslie
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM
I think your response was relevant, you dont deserve that mother or not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM
4 moms liked this

I think you're both ridiculous

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:28 PM

She's right and wrong.  They did too have sneakers.  I remember my dad mowing the lawn in his loafers.  They were old loafers though.  He had tennis shoes too, but the leather offered more protection (not much more though) than canvas tennis shoes back then. He went fishing in old sneakers. I'm a child of the 60's.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:29 PM

I Agree! LOL! I should have just laughed like I normally do but this time the extra verbage hit a nerve.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you're both ridiculous

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:30 PM
You should have just laughed at her. She clearly needs attention
nmkj
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM
My dad does shit like that. I just ignore him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM
All over if men in the 50s wore boots or loafers in the garden....that's pretty pathetic.
Mom100WV
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Haha, that's an awesome argument!  You were right to put your foot down--she shouldn't speak to you or anyone that way no matter what.  Even if the argument was over something important, that behavior is disrespectful and inappropriate.  Good for you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Alright. With everyone's response it seems like I didn't do so bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN