Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am just better than you.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 116 Replies

So me and dh have become good friends with a couple we have known for awhile, but only recently had the chance to hang out with them. We take turns at hosting and making dinner. When we got together last night, it was our turn to host. I made a curry dish that I had never made before. I love Asian food but I'm not always good at making it. They loved it and I was happy that it turned out well. Then my friend said that she would make meatloaf when it was their turn to host. Awesome. We love meatloaf. She went on and asked what I thought I would make next. I said stuffed pasta shells. She asked liked she got mad and said in a huffy tone, "Well my family is Italian and we save dinners like that for really special occasions." Ummmm. Okay. I didn't say anything in response. It was awkward.

Later, I asked her dh if my friend was mad about something and if I somehow offended her. He told me that she is just mad because I'm a better cook and she gets irritated when I make things better then her. Stuffed pasta shells is a special thing in her family. Then he said, "I know it's dumb right?" Then we chuckled about it for a minute. 

So I'm not sure what to do about this. I was never under the impression that we were having a competition. I enjoy her cooking so I don't get it. 

If you were me, would you go ahead and make stuffed pasta shells or do something else? Shoudl I say something to her? This is the only time that we have ever been uncomfortable with them. I would hate for this to fall apart over something so small. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd make the pasta shells and tell her I'm special, dammit!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Hahaha. Well I guess I could do that. Honestly, I think it is a really stupid reason to be mad. 

Quoting Anonymous: I'd make the pasta shells and tell her I'm special, dammit!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

BUMP

.Mana.
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I'd just make something else, personally. It's not worth causing a rift over, it's just food.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I'd make something else and just let it be. This is something she's going to have to work through on her own.

suzanneyea
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

An Asian dish with curry?

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Pasta shells are a special dinner? Even when you make the pasta and everything from scratch, that is a super simple meal. Youch.

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM
This.

Quoting .Mana.:

I'd just make something else, personally. It's not worth causing a rift over, it's just food.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet.daydream
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Make em.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this

There are tons of Asian dishes with curry in them. 

Quoting suzanneyea:

An Asian dish with curry?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN