Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

should the minimum wage be raised?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 77 Replies
A friend posted a pic on FB about how you could get a whole cart full if groceries in 1995 for $50 or something and how you can barely get anything for that now. He claims the minimum wage needs to be raised because of that. I don't think minimum wage jobs were meant to be sole support more for teenagers or seniors who want to supplement their income. What's your opinion?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Bump!
KristaP13
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:40 PM
4 moms liked this

Minimum wage has not risen consistently with the cost of living. 

That being said, I do think it needs raised, but I do not agree with how high some of these people think it should be. 

AutumnRunner
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM
3 moms liked this

I think all wages for all jobs should be raised.

AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM
I agree.

Quoting KristaP13:

That being said, I do think it needs raised, but I do not agree with how high some of these people think it should be. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

You raise minimum wages and you'll see the price of everything else starting to go up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM

NO!!! No raising the wage. 

If you raise the minimum wage, jobs get cut, prices for things go up...it doesn't help anyone!

I don't believe in having a set minimum wage. I think we should let the free market figure it out. Government does not need to control everything. People are smarter than the government. We also know what's going on in our own city/town/state. The government doesn't. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting KristaP13:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM

No, I think first and foremost we need to do something about our tax rates for businesses being one of the highest in the world driving out business in our country. Second we need to enforce our immigration laws that permit employers to hire non documented employees and pay them lower wages. We do those two things among a few others and we could see an economic boom and again a time where companies were fighting for employees and compensating them accordingly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
People need to stop looking at minimum wage as a family supporting income.
Texor
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that the economy has grown faster in cities where the minimum wage has been increased than in other cities and we should go on economics, so yes...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/07/19/332879409/states-that-raised-minimum-wage-see-faster-job-growth-report-says

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN