Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are sports too expensive for your child to play?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies

We were out last night picking up a pair of gloves for my sons hockey.  After we paid for them I started thinking how many families cannot afford sports due to the price of them.  Not only do you have the registration fees but you have all the equipment, and may even have travel costs.

Are there sports you will not allow your child to play because of the expense?

How do you keep the costs down?  Used equipment, hand-me downs, sports team sales?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM
DS will be able to play any sport he wants to, we'll pay for it. Right now he's playing summer baseball.
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Right now the cost are ok. My son does baseball and tae kwon do and the prices are just fine.

My daughter wants to do horseback riding so we are looking around for options. It can add up really quick with it we are finding.

Mizz_Sassyfrass
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM

The only sport we didnt allow our oldest dd do was competative softball because of the amount of traveling and the cost of the registration, it was just to much, so she just went on to H.S. softball.

we got all her equiptment as it came on sale, and as for cleats, big5 always had sales on those as well as the 3/4 sleeve shirts and socks.

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I don't let the cost keep the kids from playing any sport they want. We look for deals on equipment when we need to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM
We can't afford any right now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM
We are moving from a town where we could afford whatever sport DS wanted to play. They ran about $100. To a city where he will only get to choose one. It is $500 plus just for fall soccer.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Barely but sports is a priority for me.
mommaponch
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I won't let the kids do karate for personal reasons and because the dojos in the area set their pricing by belt and not by month or by practices attended.  I refuse to drop 1700 towards the first belt when I have no idea if my kids will like it or not.  Also because I have met many parents who have their children in it and it's almost a cult, it's super weird.  I've dealt with dance moms, soccer moms, baseball moms, gymnastic moms, and none of them were as crazy as the karate moms!

I don't have an issue paying almost any amount for almost any sport but I won't spend a ton on a sport my child hasn't tried.  To get my daughter in softball this year it was going to be around $300 plus tournament fees, and one of the tournaments is far enough that we would have to do a hotel.  The child has never played and doesn't even play at home.  So she tried soccer which let her start with a rec team and it was $75 for the whole season.  Now that I know she loves it I would have no problem spending thoses softball costs on next season's soccer.

We do play it again sports and local garage sales for as much equipment as possible.  Anything I can't find in decent shape used I will pay full price for.

BostonGirl0301
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Money for sports isn't an issue for us. Then again I only have one. I'm sure it would be harder to have multiple kids in sports.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:18 PM

We find a way but we do limit it because it can get expensive. We do hand-me-downs as much as possible, but it is hard when the kids are nearly the same size, lol. We also shop around for the cheapest prices on cleats and shin-guards. However, the AYSO my kids are part of had extras if kids need them so that helps. And when my kids outgrow all their stuff I will donate it to the supply so other kids can use it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN