Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ugh! Being a grown up and making decisions sucks. What would you do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
DH works at a large grocery store. He is currently an assistant manager in the fresh foods department, and they just moved us to this area for him to help shape up the department over the summer. His higher ups have great respect for him and his abilities, to the point where they bought out his contract with another district, just to have him here.

The last store he was at was our dream location, geographically, but there wasn't much room for advancement.

Here's our dilemma. Since he's been here, there hasn't been a concrete plan for him past the summer. We've stretched ourselves thin financially, because of his commute and lateral job move.

His last store has recently had a sudden vacancy.It would be a promotion, although the salary cap is close to what he's making now. Again, this is our dream location, but room for advancement depends on someone else leaving.

When his corporate team here got wind of his application today, his DM met with him. He just let me know what happened.

They don't want to lose him here. They told him that a super flagship store would be opening in a year, and the department is his if he'll wait it out. That's big money, and the.district here has tons of room for growth. The problem is, we'd be struggling for the next year, and we still don't know whete he's going to be until then, so we can't move quite yet to ease the financial strain. He's currently commuting 2+ hours a day to work. We moved here because of schools and he was only supposed to be at this store for 4 months. It's killing us.

We don't know what to do. What would you do, if you were in this situation?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Wait it out. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:52 PM
I know that's the logical choice, but we are hurting badly right now. Ugh.

And his old store was in our dream location :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Wait it out. 

KristaP13
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM

He's driving 2 hours to work ? I hope your car gets good gas mileage. Honestly, I would want DH to go back to the store closest to us and hope for someone to leave so he could advance. Could he not apply for any other positions later on if he goes back to his original store?

Inana
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell DH to ask for more $ because of the financial situation would be better for him at the previous store.

MorganTho
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Publix?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ragdoll7777
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Can his speak to his boss and ask for a raise until he gets that other job? He could straight up say he can't make ends meet with this current salary and is really affecting his family.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:58 PM

You need to decide what is most important to you, location or money/advancement.

Are you able to live comfortably in your dream location?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:58 PM
I did. He mentioned it in passing today at the meeting, but I told him to have a more in-depth conversation.

Quoting Inana:

Tell DH to ask for more $ because of the financial situation would be better for him at the previous store.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:59 PM
Harris Teeter.

Quoting MorganTho: Publix?
MorganTho
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:00 PM
I would probably ask for him to come back to where he was and you guys were happier. My DF commutes about the same and it just kills us financially (in his truck) and is exhausting for him. We discussed him stepping down below management if it meant him just having more time back, and we would save the difference in pay almost just in gas and tolls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN