Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids and sports.. how do you pull it off?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

My 6 year old just started peewee football, and he's scheduled for 10 hrs of practice each week so far.  I'm hoping it'll change when school starts, but right now, it seems like a LOT.  Knowing my boy, he's going to burn out on this and dread going pretty quickly at this rate.  I want him to be excited to go and if he loves it, I'm in... but I'll be really interested to see how he feels after these first couple of weeks. 

This is new ground for me... they keep adding more and more commitments to the calendar and usually with just a day or two's notice.  Really worried about how it's going to go when I add homework and his sister's swim team into the mix. 

Any words of wisdom for me?  Is this normal, does it settle into a groove eventually?  Or can I just expect to be owned by the youth football league for the next 2 months? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SparklyCoffee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Try owned for the next 12 years. 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:00 PM

that is too much for a six year old in my opinion. I love how these parents bitch and complain about the sports being too this or that but will gladly "get rid of their kid" for the sport....

I think its too much

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:02 PM

An Excel spreadsheet.  It's how I kept track of 3 daughters in competitive dance (20 hours a week each, NOT the same 20 hours).  Plus Scouts, piano, homework, and so on.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:04 PM

10 hours seems excessive for 5-6 year olds...does that include games too or just practice? That is 5 days per week at 2 hours per day... in middle school and HS, I can see practicing daily as the games are more intense. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:04 PM

If he loves it then it is not too much. My 7 year old has at least 10 hours of karate a week and loves it. It is easier that I do not have to do any extra driving for it since it is based out of his school. My 4 year old has 5 hours of cheer and gymnastics a week and I do have to drive for that. If either decided they didn't want to do something it would be over, as long as they love it I will make it work. My son also finishes all his homework at school before practice so once we are home it is strictly spending time with eachother. 

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I'd be happy if it was only 2 months.... LOL My son starts football on Aug. 4 and will practice 10 hours a week for 4 weeks and then practice goes down to 6 hours per week once school starts. Games start Sept. 6 and are every Saturday until the end of October. I have learned that sports in general, not just football, are a huge time commitment for the family. We just finished baseball and because we made it to the county and state tournaments our season had an extra 3 weeks. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Quoting thetrollcat:

that is too much for a six year old in my opinion. I love how these parents bitch and complain about the sports being too this or that but will gladly "get rid of their kid" for the sport....

I think its too much

Thanks.  Yeah I think so too, but I was never into team sports as a kid so I don't have any past experience to go on.  I also don't know the other parents yet at all, but I already feel like I'm the new kid in town and everyone else is already in the club.  I just keep telling myself "as long as he likes it... as long as he likes it..."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:05 PM

My son did Karate for about 15 hours a day starting in Kindergarten. 3 hours a day. (although they did allow 30 mins for homework) and it was too much. He got burnt out and didn't want to go anymore even though he used to love it. We stopped about 6 Months ago and now he wants to go back again. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:06 PM

So far just practice.  The week of his first game, he has 6 hrs.  I'm hoping it slows down a bit! 

Quoting mcginnisc:

10 hours seems excessive for 5-6 year olds...does that include games too or just practice? That is 5 days per week at 2 hours per day... in middle school and HS, I can see practicing daily as the games are more intense. 

highlandmum
by Spunky on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:06 PM

10 Hours is a lot for a 6 year old.  I would be worried about injuries.  How long are practises, and how many days a week do you have them?

My son is 9 and plays hockey - he is on the ice 4 to 5 times a week during hockey season (including games - about 5 hours a week).  He however plays at the AAA level, rec children are only on the ice twice a week.  Our schedule almost set from now till December, in December we should get the rest of the schedule.  We never have only two days notice for an event.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)