Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What if your child was a danger to your other children?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:19 PM
  • 61 Replies
Whether they had special needs or just had severe behavioral issues, if your child had become a serious danger to your other children, what would you do?

I'm not talking about accidents where the others got hurt. I mean intentional. Hitting them, hurting them. What if they broke bones? Gave them a concussion? Threatened to burn everyone alive? Would you let the others suffer and live in fear bcuz "they are your child too and you can't just put them out"? Would you find them help where they wouldn't be around the others?
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrutalTruth
by urbullyisshowing on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Probably some sort of placement, honestly.
Sharon300
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM

I would find them help and not have him by the other children. You have to put all your kids safety first. Plus getting him the help he needs will help with this stuff instead of ignoring it.

daniellegirly26
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM
I wouldn't let my kids around them. If the child with the behavioral issues was mine, I would like to believe I would do everything in my power to keep them safe and help my child with special needs get all the help they deserve.
Young_Mommy89
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM
That's how I feel. I mean I know the DS lady was maybe a troll but I've seen similar remarks of how awful a person a mother was bcuz she wanted to give up rights to her adoptive son. He was very violent and had tried to set fires, attacked someone with a 2x4 all sorts of things.

I would love him and be heartbroken but I would have to protect my other children

Quoting BrutalTruth: Probably some sort of placement, honestly.
Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:24 PM

That so hard to say without actually being in that situation, but I think I'd probably try to find somewhere to place him. Not just for the good of the other kids, but for his own good as well... children like that need help, and not always the kind that their parents can give them. 

Young_Mommy89
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:25 PM
I feel the same. If I knew he was beyond MY help and my other kids were suffering I would have to find placement where he could get help and they could finally be safe in their own home.

Quoting Sharon300:

I would find them help and not have him by the other children. You have to put all your kids safety first. Plus getting him the help he needs will help with this stuff instead of ignoring it.

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I have dealt with this many times over the years. When my son becomes out of control and a danger, the cops are called, he is placed in the psych hospital and if he cannot come home at discharge he goes into a long term treatment facility. He has been out of the home this time since February, hoping by September he can come home again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:26 PM
My ds has some sorta of mood disorder. Not sure what type though. And normally he is a good caring full of compassion child. But he goes into these rages. He turns into another person and he can and has hurt others. He isn't mainstream in school because of this. He is on meds and in therapy. This is why I won't have any more kids and why I don't work. If I am needed at school when he goes into these rages i have to be available. . What can I do. He is my son.
Most people see only the anger and rages but we see who he really is. And I have held him while he cried saying he can't help it when he comes down from the rages. I would never send him away.
kiwiskiwi29
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I would have to find them some help and some other place to place him. I'd have to protect my other children. 

skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:27 PM
Not easy to make the decision, but the obligation to the family is whatever it is that is best for the most members of the family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)