Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

thinking about stepping down from my management postion...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies
I feel like my job is taking advantage of me. I recently got promoted to a "shift manager" along with this promotion came a boatload of more responsibility and stress all for a .75 pay increase. Now I make 8.00 an hour.

I have 2 scheduled off days a week. One of which I ALWAYS end up working. It looks like this. Monday before I leave I ask my GM, hey do you need me to work tomorrow? He always says I will text you and let you know. Instead of texting me at a reasonable hour, he waits till 1am to blow my phone up telling me to be at work at 3am. I told him this was annoying and he needed to start letting me know at a reasonable hour or I was just going to turn my phone off, to which he told me "you are a manager now and must be avaliable at all times."

The night shift manager is new as am I but she seems to be having problems catching on. She is constantly calling me at 1030 and 11pm asking me how to fix this or that in the computer. Sometimes I even have to go up there and show her because I am not able to help her over the phone. This really shouldn't be an issue, except I am the opening manager which means I have to be there at 3am.

It has only been a month but I am just really starting to feel taken advantage of. I make 8.00 an hour, get 0 benefits and can't even eat a meal for free.

Advice, opinions, suggestions?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Screw that. I'd turn off my phone after work and let them deal with it.
ArmyWife112908
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:37 PM
All that for $8an hour!! I wouldn't do it, go find a call center job they pay way better with benefits. And a while lot less stress.
sam12796
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:37 PM
2 moms liked this

You are being taken advantage of. Sorry they are doing that to you. Secondly as an hourly shift manager you do not have to be open to calls or texts all hours of the night. In fact when this new night manager has trouble she should be calling the GM or Assistant not you. You are entitled to your days off. Sorry your pay is so low too. I do not start mine off under 9.50 and with experience it is minimum 10.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:38 PM

start job hunting and get out of there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM
Would be nice, but at this moment not an option. We have TONS of call centers here but none within walking distance and my job is. My car took a crap on me about 2.5 months ago and its a 1500 repair. Im saving for either a new car or the repair. Don't know which yet.

Quoting ArmyWife112908: All that for $8an hour!! I wouldn't do it, go find a call center job they pay way better with benefits. And a while lot less stress.
Court112
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM

not worth it i stepped down from my position also because the lack of staff and i was doing everything where the last person before me had two people assidting her.

Peace.Love.Pink
by Sweet Tenderoni on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM

$8 an hour? I made way more than that as an entry level associate. No way.

RonaH
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:44 PM
No way would I do that for $8 bucks. Even for double that I wouldn't answer calls at 1am. The heck with that!
ArmyWife112908
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Check out your public transportation there may be a bus that goes close to one.

Quoting Anonymous: Would be nice, but at this moment not an option. We have TONS of call centers here but none within walking distance and my job is. My car took a crap on me about 2.5 months ago and its a 1500 repair. Im saving for either a new car or the repair. Don't know which yet.

Quoting ArmyWife112908: All that for $8an hour!! I wouldn't do it, go find a call center job they pay way better with benefits. And a while lot less stress.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:46 PM
We don't have an assistant yet. Our store is severely understaffed. Corporte came in about a week before I got hired and fired nearly all crew and management. I was promoted within 1 month of being employed with them. Our GM came in the same time I did. We have 1gm, 0 assistants and 3 shift leads. We are supposed to have 1 gm, 2 assistants and 6 shift leads. Crew is 12 and we are supposed to have 30.

I told the night manager once she needed to call GM and she said she already had, he told her call me because I was closer to the store.

Quoting sam12796:

You are being taken advantage of. Sorry they are doing that to you. Secondly as an hourly shift manager you do not have to be open to calls or texts all hours of the night. In fact when this new night manager has trouble she should be calling the GM or Assistant not you. You are entitled to your days off. Sorry your pay is so low too. I do not start mine off under 9.50 and with experience it is minimum 10.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)