Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worst couple of weeks EVER!!!

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:03 AM
  • 62 Replies

Two weeks ago, my dogs took off into the bushes after a coyote.  My husband and I were working on the fenceline when we heard the strangest noise ever.  I questioned if it was a donkey, and then all of a sudden my husband took off for the road, and so did I, because it suddenly registered that it was one of our dogs.  My oldest dog came out of the bushes dragging a leg.  She's 11, and arthritic, so we figured that this was probably it for her, because we couldn't afford to fix a broken leg.  We took her to a vet anyway, on recomendation of a friend, and it turned out that she had a dislocated hip.  $600 bucks later and she had to have the leg kept in a sling for 4 weeks. 

Friday, we changed the sling (it's sticky tape stuff), and she went outside to lay down.  My husband had to run up to the top of the road, so he jumped in the truck and backed up... over her.  He was freaking out, ran and got me, I went and checked on her, and she was just lying there, but she looked at me.  We were trying to figure out where she got ran over, when suddenly she turned her head and we saw her other eye, which looked popped.  He ran over her head :(  We thought that was it.  He went and loaded a gun, while I tried frantically to find the local vet's home number, begging him not to shoot her (he would not have been able to live with himself if he had to do it himself).  He suddenly realized that the only gun we have ammo for would have blown a huge hole in her head, and couldn't go through with it.  The vet wasn't going to be able to come out right away, but then the dog got up and walked into the water shed/pump house) and buried herself in a corner.  We thought she went in there to die.  2 hours later and no change.  We couldn't sit around any longer and he took her to the same vet, but the doctor was in surgery for the next couple of hours, so he took her to a place in Kirkland, where he asked them to basically just provide palliative care... IV fluids, pain meds, etc.  Defying all odds, she came home last night, walking (right sided weakness), both eyes fine (blood blister on her third eyelid keeping it from retracting), eating, drinking, peeing and pooping.  We have her isolated and she is resting comfortably.  She is expected to make a full recovery.

Tonight, my husband came back from bike riding with our oldest.  He came into the driveway slowly, paranoid about the possibility of running over the other dogs.  He stopped because one of the dogs ran in front of him, and then began to inch forward... up onto our middle dog's paw.  The leg looked mangled, and he was bleeding quite a bit.  I grabbed a towel and the sticky tape we were using to sling the other dog, and we taped up his leg, and my husband was off to the original vet.  He just called and said that the leg itself isn't broken, that they are going to stitch up the lacerations and put in a shunt (I think that's what it is) for drainage, and then take an Xray of the paw, which is pretty swollen, and that his mouth apparently was run over too, because there are broken teeth, but they aren't too concerned about the teeth and don't think his jaw is broken at all.  We are guessing what happened is that when my husband stopped, the dog decided he wasn't moving anymore and stopped to chew on his leg because of an itch or something, and the truck just caught the paw and side of his mouth.

Seriously... this many disasters in 2 weeks??  I'm ready to get off this friggin emotional rollercoaster.

ETA: 3 pages in and I think I need to clarify a few things.  We live on a back country road, on 6 1/2 acres.  about 2 1/2 acres is wooded area, and as such, we have coyotes.  We haven't had the dogs fenced in because we have livestock and fowl that need protecting, and it is their job to run off the coyotes, and they do it well.  In light of these recent events, we will be taking steps to keep this from happening again.  We are going to put up a fence on the front of the property, to keep dogs off the road, and that fence will go in at our driveway and encircle it to keep all animals (and children) out of the driveway.  This should fix the problem.

Also, we have had these two dogs since they were 8 weeks old, the female 11 years ago, the male 10.  This is the first time of their lives that either of them has ever had any injury or accident (other than the occasional sprain from running after a coyote, or a thorn in the paw, all to be expected when you live in the country).  We also have a dog that is almost a year old that we have had since 6 weeks, and she ate a bee once, and that's the extent of any accident/injury there.  The last time either my husband or I had an accident/injury with a pet was when my husband's 8 week old puppy ran out in front of a car after bolting out of the home.  I was thinking that it was 15 years ago, but we put him down in 2005 when he was 13, so that's been like 22 years ago that he was injured.  We are not irresponsible pet owners, by any means.  Sometimes shit just happens.

wedding planning

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:06 AM
You need a fence! Glad they're both ok
JIJsMom
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:06 AM
Too much sadness. Poor babies.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Please secure your pets or find new homes for them.
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:08 AM
2 moms liked this

We really do need a fence.  We haven't put one up because we live in the country and the dogs stay out of the road when cars are coming, but we are going to be sectioning off the driveway from the rest of the property, and kids and dogs won't be allowed without the rest of us.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Try not to be a fucking asshole.  We've had these dogs since they were 8 weeks old, and they're 10 and 11.  This is the first accident or injury either of them have had.  Get off my post if you are going to be an ass.

Quoting Anonymous: Please secure your pets or find new homes for them.

wedding planning

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Holy shit. Either your dogs are idiots or your husband is. What would have happened if it'd been a kid.. Just wow.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this
It is the truth and you posted for comments so deal with it what you get.

Quoting kailu1835:

Try not to be a fucking asshole.  We've had these dogs since they were 8 weeks old, and they're 10 and 11.  This is the first accident or injury either of them have had.  Get off my post if you are going to be an ass.

Quoting Anonymous: Please secure your pets or find new homes for them.

sweet.daydream
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Ah! Reading this made me feel as if I was watching an ASPCA commercial.

I'm sorry you guys have experienced this much turmoil in such a short amount of time. I agree with a pp, and I think its time to start looking into a fence.
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Yikes.....
Crashly
by Ashley on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:14 AM
Omg that sucks! I'd be so paranoid about my dogs after all that!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)