Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Speaking of the homeless... dead dog?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:08 AM
  • 4 Replies

Poll

Question: Would the rest of you make this assumption? Or am I just weird?

Options:

Yes, I would. No you aren't.

Yes, I would. Yes you are.

No, I wouldn't. No you aren't.

No I wouldn't. Yes you are.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 6

View Results

We're a small town.  I recognize most of our homeless people.

One old man, hobbles around with a huge pack, a cane & his dog.

The other day I saw him sans cane, leaning against a building for support making his way through the rain.  My heart broke for him, but I had to get to work.  I figured, I'd keep an eye out for him and maybe help him get a new cane if he needed one.

About a week later, I'm driving past the same spot.  Old guy is sitting across from the building wall where I last saw him.  Pack on the ground.  And some flowers in front of him.  And no dog.

At first glance - and only - they looked like a memorial.  I know our grocery store just pitched out the dead/half dead bouquets.  I saw them on clearance the night before and the associate collecting them for disposal.  

My brain said "the dogs dead, the old guy is alone now." and my heart broke for him.  For some of our homeless folk, their dogs are their world.  

Would the rest of you make this assumption?  Or am I just weird?

Now because this is CM, I know someone is gonna bitch about homeless people having pets....

I know our local animal control officers well.  We've all talked at length about various issues and this is one.  They WON'T take a homeless persons' pet away from them.  Unless the pet is dire straits.  The officers make sure the pet is up to date on vaccinations, spaying & neutering and in general good health.

The dogs are loved and toted about every where these guys go.  And you'll never see one of their dogs tied up in the sun.  they always have a buddy watch their dog or go to a petfriendly business (like ours) so their dog can come in with them.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mom2hadley
by Heather on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:11 AM
That is really sad. I would be thinking the same as you. His dog probably died. :(
grey7399
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:44 AM

BUMP!

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:48 AM
Yep. I was homeless with my dog too and if was leaving me it would have been because one of us died.

grey7399
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I'll be looking for him today too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)