Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 in 5 children in America live in poverty

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
That's shocking and heart breaking to me. By children it is people under age 18.

What do you think ?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I think too many adults are failing their children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:21 AM
I'm sure some of them but not all and I doubt the majority.

Quoting Anonymous: I think too many adults are failing their children.
RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I disagree. I don't believe that poverty equals failing your children. I would probably be considered impoverished but my inability to buy my kids every thing that they want does not mean that I am failing them. They have a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs, food in their bellies, and a mother that loves them more than anything. That's all a child really needs. I work my ass off for not very much and I get a little PA to make ends meet until I finish my degree. That doesn't mean that I am failing my children. I am doing what I have to for my kids. They aren't going to look back and say "I hate my mom because she didn't buy me an iPad when I was 4." They're going to remember that I loved them and worked hard had sacrificed for them. 

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

rainyy
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:36 AM

what dose poverty exactly mean?

it depends on  your definition of poverty

by my definition most of Americans have luxurious life compairing with  third world countries like my country

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:43 AM
I work in social services and get to see children in need on a regular basis along with parents who have screwed up priorities.

You sound like an amazing parent and your kids aren't going to bed hungry at night.

Just today I got to deal with a person who cussed out their new employer and quit, a father of multiple children who has a felony for child abuse and can't keep a job, a man who won't work more than part time, has multiple kids and just moved into the homeless shelter because his family got tired of him and a single mother of four kids ( all different dads) who just recently overdosed on drugs and almost died. These people all live in poverty and can't provide for their kids.

These people are out there in large numbers and children are suffering.

Quoting RocknRoll.Rose:

I disagree. I don't believe that poverty equals failing your children. I would probably be considered impoverished but my inability to buy my kids every thing that they want does not mean that I am failing them. They have a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs, food in their bellies, and a mother that loves them more than anything. That's all a child really needs. I work my ass off for not very much and I get a little PA to make ends meet until I finish my degree. That doesn't mean that I am failing my children. I am doing what I have to for my kids. They aren't going to look back and say "I hate my mom because she didn't buy me an iPad when I was 4." They're going to remember that I loved them and worked hard had sacrificed for them. 

leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:46 AM
Depends on that definition of poverty. Some consider owning a car older than 10 years, being impoverished.
RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:54 AM

I do understand that some people in poverty fail their children but plenty of rich parents fail their children as well. It has nothing to do with income. There are wonderful parents and horrible parents in every income bracket. 

Quoting Anonymous: I work in social services and get to see children in need on a regular basis along with parents who have screwed up priorities. You sound like an amazing parent and your kids aren't going to bed hungry at night. Just today I got to deal with a person who cussed out their new employer and quit, a father of multiple children who has a felony for child abuse and can't keep a job, a man who won't work more than part time, has multiple kids and just moved into the homeless shelter because his family got tired of him and a single mother of four kids ( all different dads) who just recently overdosed on drugs and almost died. These people all live in poverty and can't provide for their kids. These people are out there in large numbers and children are suffering.
Quoting RocknRoll.Rose:

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)