Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone work out?Pain

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I started working out 2 months ago, im technically not over weight and have a normal BMI but i feel like my thighs look like cellulite for some reason. Anyway, I was doing jogging on a treadmill for 3 miles and cycling for 3 miles and alternating between days of squats and lunges, crunches, push ups, and like wise youtube videos. I was ok except I somehow hurt my heel, but I am a lazy person so out of shape I guess. Then 6 days ago I started 30 day shred. On day 4 I got a sharp pain in my bad knee, I literally could not walk. It went away the next day but was replaced by an achy feeling in my knees and ankles. Day 6 it has increased to the point I really want to quit and sit on the couch ALL day tomorrow! It kept me up all night last night. I am in my 20's my joints shouldn't hurt this bad. I have been over every youtube video I feel my squat form is ok. My knees are certainly not extending over my toes. Is this because I am out of shape and will go away or should I stop? Had no pain before 30day shred and was doing squats and lunges daily. Also I started bare foot, how I have always worked out. Thought shoes would help and all they do is make my feet slide on the slick floor and make it harder to hold proper form with NO decrease in pain.

So very seriously ready to quit but I really, really would like to get rid of some belly fat and tone up my legs!

Also, I have actually gained 12lbs since starting, in 6 days! What is this devil workout?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjames0991
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:18 AM
You are doing too much!!! First, that is too much cardio to start off with. Second, you have to alternate muscles workouts. One day arms the next legs, one day abs, the next back. Your muscles need time to repair.

MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Yep it's like you are running the marathon before you actually train for it and doing too much at once. You will quit because you are over doing it! As the saying goes, slow and steady wins the race. Can you swim somewhere? It's low impact.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM

You need good shoes to start with. get fitted properly in a running store.

Second you need to stretch both before and working out.

JayTee80
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM

What happened to you on day 4 sounds like runner's knee.  It is very painful and caused by misalignment, direct trauma, overuse, or weak thigh muscles. It sounds like something with what you are doing in the 30 day Shred caused this.   I would rest a couple of days or maybe do a low to no impact workout like swimming, and see an orthopedist to properly diagnose what is going on. As it heals you may need to get fitted for proper running shoes that work for your gait, arch height, and pronation.  You may also want to consult a trainer and/or a running coach and if the running is easier on your body than the videos, just do the running.  Coaches can help amazingly with injury prevention and improving performance in general.  Soreness is good but pain from working out usually indicates an injury. Trying to push through can do way more harm than good.  I also wouldn't focus on your weight if you are eating right and seeing positive changes in your body. 

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Quoting Not_A_Native:

This, except don't stretch before a workout. That is actualkly more likely to cause injury.

Get GOOD, supportive shoes. Splurge on a good pair, they make a huge difference. Replace them every few months if yu are using them a lot.

Warm up with a brisk walk beforehand, but don't stretch until after you work out. And don't bounce when you stretch.

Also, sometimes people take too long of a stide, so maybe try shortening your stides.

Good luck.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Quoting Not_A_Native:

This, except don't stretch before a workout. That is actualkly more likely to cause injury.

Get GOOD, supportive shoes. Splurge on a good pair, they make a huge difference. Replace them every few months if yu are using them a lot.

Warm up with a brisk walk beforehand, but don't stretch until after you work out. And don't bounce when you stretch.

Also, sometimes people take too long of a stide, so maybe try shortening your stides.

Good luck.

Actually, stretching before a workout IS a good thing - just don't do it too strenuously.  A 5 minute range of motion stretching is great before a workout.  And a good 5 minute stretching AFTER the workout is important as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Quoting MixedCooke: Yep it's like you are running the marathon before you actually train for it and doing too much at once. You will quit because you are over doing it! As the saying goes, slow and steady wins the race. Can you swim somewhere? It's low impact.

I swim every weekend, i live by a beach and its warm all year and I hike too. Im not particularly tired while working out and I actually thought of adding cardio yoga because the 30 day shred is only like 25 minutes long including the warm up and cool down. I was actually more tired by the youtube videos I was using, but felt no joint pain, I had some sore muscles the first 3 days but nothing after. So Im confused as to why this is happening. :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I wonder if I actually am though because this 30 day shred is only 25 mins long including warm up and cool down. I was working longer and harder with the youtube videos but felt no pain so I am so confused. I do feel as if I could do more after the 30 day, but the knees prevent me, they feel almost like really stiff and stuck.

I took up working out because I used to do 5-10 mile round trip hikes up mountains or large hill/cliff land with a 30-35lb pack, But I can only do the 1-2 times a week IF my husband has off becuase its not child friendly. Also have to go alone, into the woods, before the sun rises because no one will come with me. So its almost like a down grade?

Quoting jjames0991: You are doing too much!!! First, that is too much cardio to start off with. Second, you have to alternate muscles workouts. One day arms the next legs, one day abs, the next back. Your muscles need time to repair.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I do minor yoga, and  a warm up and a cool down is included in the video the warm up i believe are called range of motion and the cool down statitic streches.

I do have just normal shoes, nikes, but they are fitted properly my husband helped me pick them out and he runs a few miles everyday /is in the army and has learned about proper foot care so he dosn't fall out.  I stareted with no shoes, because I feel more comfortable, mobile and feels easier to keep form. I have added the shoes and the pain is just getting worse I am actually pretty sure I'm not even doing it today.

I wore t5hese same two pairs of shoes when I was using the tread mill and cycle for 6miles daily on maximum incline and that didnt hurt any joints, is it due to the type of workout?

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:37 PM

My weight I guess is ok, like I said I am not over weight. I just have cellulite in my legs, skinny legs with dents! imagine that. And I have not noticed any positive change which was why I switched to 30day. Only done 6 days so not surprised I see no change. Would the runners knee not have appeared when I was jogging because it was less impact though it was a harder work out?  WHat about the pain in both ankles?

I can't afford a trainer , but I can see an ortho. I will make an apt with my primary and get a referral. Thank you.

Quoting JayTee80:

What happened to you on day 4 sounds like runner's knee.  It is very painful and caused by misalignment, direct trauma, overuse, or weak thigh muscles. It sounds like something with what you are doing in the 30 day Shred caused this.   I would rest a couple of days or maybe do a low to no impact workout like swimming, and see an orthopedist to properly diagnose what is going on. As it heals you may need to get fitted for proper running shoes that work for your gait, arch height, and pronation.  You may also want to consult a trainer and/or a running coach and if the running is easier on your body than the videos, just do the running.  Coaches can help amazingly with injury prevention and improving performance in general.  Soreness is good but pain from working out usually indicates an injury. Trying to push through can do way more harm than good.  I also wouldn't focus on your weight if you are eating right and seeing positive changes in your body. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN