• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help me!

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:03 AM
  • 30 Replies
I have an 8 year old, Ben, a 20 month old, Nathan and I'm 27 weeks pregnant with a 3rd boy.

Most mornings we have to get up by 540 for me to get to work on time. Sometimes though, and esp on the weekends, this is not true. We can sleep in.

Ben wakes up every single day of his life at 6 am. He then comes in my bed and flops around until I basically yell at him to get out. I try to ask him calmly and nicely to be still but my request falls on deaf ears. He then goes and wakes up Nathan.

Nathan will then climb in my bed and snuggle up and go back to sleep til 8-830.

However, Ben will constantly be in and out of my room, asking questions, using his outside voice, trying to hug Nathan. He has been repeatedly told to stay quiet, let Nathan sleep and to relax.

Ben and Nathan both do not eat breakfast until 8-830. So it is not a question of is he hungry. Even if he is- he knows where the snacks are and can grab one.

All I am asking is that he leaves sleeping people alone. Coming in and saying hey I'm up doesn't bother me. Beyond that, he is 8 he can watch a t.v. show or two while he waits for the rest of the family to get up. It's not going to kill him.

My sleep pattern is way off at this point. I'm tired. Nathan is tired. And Ben is up with the sun every day and insistent the rest of the family is too.

Any suggestions on how to get him to let the rest of the family sleep? Any ideas on the best way to go about this issue?

Disclaimer: if you tell me to just get up with my child, not going to listen. I get up with him 5 days a week, make him a hot breakfast 7 days a week. He is far from.neglected.
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjames0991
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM
I was a child that hated, hated, hated to be up, alone. I always felt lonely. Even as I got older, if no one got up with me for school, I would get so sad.

I have no suggestions for you other then maybe giving him Benedryl to sleep in.
Texor
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

HE's not even two. 

He is on a schedule and his body doesn't know that n Saturday you don't have to be at work.

TwoPennies
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:11 AM
I'm gonna say -1 on the Benadryl. Bad idea, mostly because it's just so wrong but also you don't want Ben to become addicted to needing it to sleep.
Other than that my suggestion is to come down on him heavy handed. If he comes into your room more than once, he's grounded x amount of time to his bed (not his room, his bed). Y amount of time is a different punishment. He's going to push the boundaries as much as he can until you make him stop.
virgoj3
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:11 AM

lock your bedroom door

2kids2dogs2cats
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:11 AM

A 20 month old should not be roaming the house while everyone is asleep.

You are asking for something bad to happpen,  don't listen about getting up with him, but that is what you need to do. 

TwoPennies
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Her 20mo old is Nathan. The kid she's talking about is 8- way more than old enough to leave mom and brother alone in the morning.

Quoting Texor:

HE's not even two. 

He is on a schedule and his body doesn't know that n Saturday you don't have to be at work.

annas_momma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Try putting a black out curtain in his room. Some people are more sensitive to the sunlight, as far as waking up, and that may help some.
Texor
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I guess I did not read that as thoroughly as I should have.

Quoting TwoPennies: Her 20mo old is Nathan. The kid she's talking about is 8- way more than old enough to leave mom and brother alone in the morning.
Quoting Texor:

HE's not even two. 

lisab90
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:16 AM
I would go with this choice. It seems he won't listen and he pushing it to see will you do anything.

Quoting TwoPennies: I'm gonna say -1 on the Benadryl. Bad idea, mostly because it's just so wrong but also you don't want Ben to become addicted to needing it to sleep.
Other than that my suggestion is to come down on him heavy handed. If he comes into your room more than once, he's grounded x amount of time to his bed (not his room, his bed). Y amount of time is a different punishment. He's going to push the boundaries as much as he can until you make him stop.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:16 AM
What are the consequences for his actions? If you aren't doing anything about it he won't stop.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)