Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's wrong with my tooth?! *Update*

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:50 AM
  • 25 Replies
Before anyone says it, no, I know y'all aren't dentists, and yes, I will probably make an appt. I'm only looking for some advice or anyone who may have experience with this.
I had a root canal 2 years ago on my far right bottom molar. Its a porcelain cap. It rarely gives me trouble but for 2 days now its been throbbing and hurts like hell if I bite down. I literally can't chew, even on my left side. I've tried icing my jaw, I've tried a heating pad and I've taken ibuprofen.... Nothing works!
I admit that last week while on my period, I ate Lifesaver Gummies like they were going out of style. So perhaps that irrated it?
I have no clue why after 2 years that the tooth would be giving me such hell!

** Well sure enough, there was a bad infection under the root. My appt was for 2pm, Thur. I woke up and could NOT stand the pain any longer. I called when they opened and told them its an emergency. They told me to come in. I literally cried after the xray because biting down on that xray piece felt like torture....they numbed me up, pulled the bitch and I was home by noon! Obviously my jaw has been sore but I can't explain the relief of getting that infected fucker out of my mouth :)
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gypsy30
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:51 AM

sometimes, root canals fail...and that's what it sounds like in your case...

rocamom
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Maybe your dentist missed a root. I had that happen. Usually a tooth has 3 but maybe that tooth has 4 and they didn't realize it.

Have you called your dentist?
JackAttacks
by Angel on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:54 AM

idk what to tell you. just make the appt.

tinkerxbell
by Danger Will Robinson on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Could you have cracked the crown? I have a gold crown on mine and I've had it for 10 years. I get a little bit of pain in it once in a very great while, but it only hurts for a couple minutes to an hour.. Not a couple days.

TommyAbby
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:55 AM

The roots might have cracked and the movement while chewing would make it painful.

The crown may have come loose a bit and your bite is off

You may have gotten something (small seeds, crumbs from something that was crusty) caught in the gums just under the crown. 

beco8627
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM
I understand...but for it to wait this long before bothering me? I've even had xrays since then...would they not have seen it?

Quoting rocamom: Maybe your dentist missed a root. I had that happen. Usually a tooth has 3 but maybe that tooth has 4 and they didn't realize it.

rocamom
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:02 AM
It's possible. I would call the dentist to have them look at it. I would as if it's possible they could have missed a root. My pain wasn't immediate and was off and on for a bit before we figured it out. Good luck.

Quoting beco8627: I understand...but for it to wait this long before bothering me? I've even had xrays since then...would they not have seen it?

Quoting rocamom: Maybe your dentist missed a root. I had that happen. Usually a tooth has 3 but maybe that tooth has 4 and they didn't realize it.

beco8627
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM
With our insurance changes, I'll be going to a different dentist. I knew that place wasn't the greatest after I had some major fails with my wisdom teeth extractions. I wouldn't be surprised if they botched this damn root canal. Ugh, if I come to find out that it wasn't done right, I'm telling them to freaking pull the damn thing.

Quoting rocamom: It's possible. I would call the dentist to have them look at it. I would as if it's possible they could have missed a root. My pain wasn't immediate and was off and on for a bit before we figured it out. Good luck.

Quoting beco8627: I understand...but for it to wait this long before bothering me? I've even had xrays since then...would they not have seen it?

tossed
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I developed an abcess where I had a root canal and a crown. IT is incredibly expensive to treat. The periodontist wanted $1000 just for the consult appointment. I ended up having the crown and tooth removed. Pain and horrible infection. Good luck.

rocamom
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:08 AM
In my case it was really hidden. He looked for an hour before he found it. I'm sorry you don't think your dentist was a good one. Hopefully you can go to a better one and they can help you.

Quoting beco8627: With our insurance changes, I'll be going to a different dentist. I knew that place wasn't the greatest after I had some major fails with my wisdom teeth extractions. I wouldn't be surprised if they botched this damn root canal. Ugh, if I come to find out that it wasn't done right, I'm telling them to freaking pull the damn thing.

Quoting rocamom: It's possible. I would call the dentist to have them look at it. I would as if it's possible they could have missed a root. My pain wasn't immediate and was off and on for a bit before we figured it out. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)