Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you have the kids with when looking to buy a new car without dh?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
I got a pre approved loan from a dealership and it must be redeemed in 45 days. I know, plenty of time. But my Dh's schedule is a little hectic and we only have Fridays off together. I have a 9 year old and a 20 month old. My kids are behaved but after a while with my toddler he'll want to get out of his stroller if we're in the same spot for a long time(discussing business with the sales rep). Dealership closes at 8, dh gets home after 4 and may be tired. I don't want to push him to come with, I know what I'm doing as far as picking out a car. My toddler can get distracted by playing a game or watching videos on my cell phone but only for a short time. Have any of you went to buy a car and had the kids with(younger ones like toddlers) without your dh. Same question applies to single mothers too.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:32 AM
First car I bought I wasn't living with now DH and so it was just me and DS.
I took him but he was older than a toddler.

I would probably just take them
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM
There's no way I would take kids with me to look for a car. It always takes longer than you think it will. And they can say you have to buy within 45 days but that's just a pressure tactic. They can approve you again or you can go somewhere else.
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM
I've never gone without dh but both dealerships we've done business with had playrooms. The one you go to might too. Or you could buy a few new small things and pack a little bag for the kids to take with them when you go.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM
I probably won't be able to test drive any vehicles since my older son can't be responsible for watching him. But I should only be discussing paper work and what my options are.

Quoting StreetsAhead: First car I bought I wasn't living with now DH and so it was just me and DS.

StreetsAhead
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Go then, discuss or that stuff and do the rest another time sans children

Quoting Anonymous: I probably won't be able to test drive any vehicles since my older son can't be responsible for watching him. But I should only be discussing paper work and what my options are.

Quoting StreetsAhead: First car I bought I wasn't living with now DH and so it was just me and DS.

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Leave the kids with your husband when he gets home and go yourself. I get stressed shopping for clothes with kids let alone a car. I can't concentrate and feel rushed, not wise when you are shopping for something worth thousands of dollars. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I went with my kids. My dealership had a toy room and if they want my money they can deal w/ my kids! Everyone was nice. My husband came one time with us and the next day he wasn't able to come - I have a 9, 7,5 and 2 y/o

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM

we brought our kids every time we bought a car, but we went together. Go look and pick out which one you are interested in. Maybe have your husband meet you there after work one day to check it out or meet you there so he can help you with the kids while you finish buying it

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
This. We actually just went car shopping with a 4 year old and it was a freaking pain. He was well behaved but even test driving was a pain because I had to get his carseat and put it in the car we were test driving and then all the paper work took a while.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: There's no way I would take kids with me to look for a car. It always takes longer than you think it will. And they can say you have to buy within 45 days but that's just a pressure tactic. They can approve you again or you can go somewhere else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momtoone07
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:10 AM
I took my little guy. He was just a baby and I was good friends with the salesman, though, so that made it pretty easy. I see it like this. If they want to sell you a vehicle, they will accommodate your immediate needs. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)