Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who gets the dog?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 90 Replies

Mobile Photo

HOUSTON -- It was a joyous reunion for one family and a devastating loss for another. The Miller family of Tyler, Texas, lost their beloved Maltese named Reese seven years ago.
The little white dog escaped while the Millers were visiting family in Balch Springs, Texas, just outside of Dallas.
Dinah Miller said she never stopped searching for her pet and never lost hope.
"Every time you hear a bark, you think, that sounds like Reese," explained Dinah Miller of Tyler, Texas. "We drove. We searched. We looked over fences. We peeped everywhere we could without getting shot."
Over the weekend, the Millers received a call that Reese had been found on a road in Tacoma, Washington. A microchip linked the dog to the family more than 2,000 miles away.
The Maltese was flown to Bush Airport in Houston on Monday night where Dinah Miller was waiting with overwhelming excitement.
"How he got to Tacoma, we don't know. We may never know," said Miller.
Now, a family from Washington state is filling in the blanks. Kelli Davis of Spanaway, Washington, said her family adopted the dog at a shelter in Mesquite, Texas, near Dallas, six years ago.
She said the dog they named Harley was marked as an owner surrender.
"Harley is my daughter's best friend. That's her little buddy. They do everything together," said Kelli Davis.
Davis and her family relocated from Texas to Washington. She said Harley quickly become an integral member of the family. She said the dog recently escaped after her 2-year-old daughter unlatched the front door.
"We were running down the street trying to find him and she was crying my Harley ran away," said Davis. "Every day we have gone out and printed fliers and walked around the neighborhood several times a day calling his name."
Davis feels the dog belongs to her family now. She was heartbroken to learn that he was flown to Texas.
"I don't know what to do. We just lost a part of our family," added Davis.
Davis said she called the shelter where she adopted Harley from and asked if they had checked for a microchip when they adopted him out. However, she said the shelter purges its records after five years.
Davis is asking for the dog back, but Miller said that isn't happening.
Miller said the dog she has missed for so many years is back home and being treated like a king.
She told KHOU that her heart goes out to Davis. She also said that there is no way she is giving up the dog she has missed for so many years.
KHOU legal expert Gerald Treece said the dog legally belongs to Miller because she registered him first with a microchip.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:51 AM
What I wonder is if the family in Washington loved the dog so much why they didn't try to microchip her. To me that shows either irresponsibility or that they knew something fishy was going on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:51 AM

The owner does. They illegal bought a dog and never thought to get him chipped or check for a chip...

Hubris_Huntsman
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM
The Miller family should get their dog back. If the dog hadn't been chipped I'd say the Davis family. Davis can't even prove she adopted the dog - she could have found him on the street.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:57 AM
I still think the family in Washington knew something wasn't right or they would've taken him to get microchipped 7 years ago and found that he had an owner who was looking for him.

Quoting Anonymous:

The owner does. They illegal bought a dog and never thought to get him chipped or check for a chip...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Something similar happened at a shelter here. The family that lost the dog discovered it when the new family posted an update picture in the shelters Facebook page. However, that dog didn't have a chip. New family kept the dog.

A lot of people don't chip their animals. There still isn't a lot of research about whether or not they cause cancer or other long term health issues. Why didn't the original owner call the shelter in Mesquite? When you lose an animal, you call every shelter and pound within 100 miles.
JayTee80
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM
5 moms liked this

Looking at what is in the best interest of the dog, it should be returned to the Davis family who has owned him for the past 6 years.  I don't know how that can even be a question for anyone.  I am a huge animal lover and if that was my dog that I had lost and it had been adopted and living with another family for six years, I would feel relieved it had a safe and happy home and a family who loved him or her. I wouldn't disrupt that animal's life and destroy my family to take back a dog I had lost 7 years ago.  The Miller's should be ashamed of what they are doing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Do you realize how big Texas is? There are a million little towns all around and even I would be hard pressed to find every little town and call them within 100 miles of me. But we also don't know if the original owners did that. If that shelter did do what was said then they may have lied if they got a call.

In my opinion the burden was on the second owners to make sure the dog they got from a shelter truly was a surrender dog and not someone's dog that was lost.

Quoting Anonymous: Something similar happened at a shelter here. The family that lost the dog discovered it when the new family posted an update picture in the shelters Facebook page. However, that dog didn't have a chip. New family kept the dog.

A lot of people don't chip their animals. There still isn't a lot of research about whether or not they cause cancer or other long term health issues. Why didn't the original owner call the shelter in Mesquite? When you lose an animal, you call every shelter and pound within 100 miles.
JayTee80
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Not necessarily.  I had adopted two rescues and always trusted the shelter to look for microchips.  You assume if they say they did, that they really did. My vet looked as well at the first appointment before she did the microchips.  Sometimes they can shift or be difficult to find, so it is possible the shelter missed it. You'd think the Davis's would have had the dog microchipped though when they adopted him.  This may have been handled differently if they had.  If they can produce vet records for the past 6 years, they might be able to fight this in court.

Quoting Anonymous: I still think the family in Washington knew something wasn't right or they would've taken him to get microchipped 7 years ago and found that he had an owner who was looking for him.
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:04 AM
How do they know he was being taken care of? In my eyes if they were responsible they would've figured out the microchip stuff years ago.

If my dog was lost and found 7 years later I would still want him back.

Quoting JayTee80:

Looking at what is in the best interest of the dog, it should be returned to the Davis family who has owned him for the past 6 years.  I don't know how that can even be a question for anyone.  I am a huge animal lover and if that was my dog that I had lost and it had been adopted and living with another family for six years, I would feel relieved it had a safe and happy home and a family who loved him or her. I wouldn't disrupt that animal's life and destroy my family to take back a dog I had lost 7 years ago.  The Miller's should be ashamed of what they are doing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Tough one, but I think the people who have cared for the dog for the past seven years are his owners. Sad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)