Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE:: The Harmony Test.. tells baby's sex at only 7 weeks

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM
  • 29 Replies

So my SIL told me when she was pregnant that they told her the sex through a blood test.. i didnt want to believe her,

Now that im pregnant, I have started to get questions from friends of mine  if i got the Harmony test done yet.. in which they test for the trisomies for Down Syndrom in the fetal blood that they extract from the mothers blood during the 1st trimester...and by sorting out the chromosomes in the fetal blood, they determine the gender.

When im wrong i admit i am wrong.. and i owe my SIL an apology

I have come to find out that my OB office does the harmony test standard on all mothers in the 1st trimester.. I have my 2nd appointment for follow up on all the blood work tomorrow.... now im really excited that i might find out the sex of my baby .. they didnt tell me the names of the tests they did, but they did say it was genetic screening.. So I am really hoping that they did the Harmony Test and I will ask my OB (who is actually the same ob my sil had, and I had 7 years ago when i was pregnant with ds#2.. they didnt do this test standard 7 years ago) if they did the Harmony test.

Anyone have the Harmony Test done during the 1st trimester, and found out the baby's gender before the 2nd trimester ultrasound?

Ive read that it has a 95% accuracy rate.. if you had this test done, was it accurate?

UPDATE: They didnt do the test for me. I asked my OB and he said that he didnt order it because he didnt feel it was necessary for me, i have a perfectly healthy pregnancy so far and have had 2 other perfectly healthy pregnancies and labors. He will decide for sure after my early ultrasound but does not feel the need for the test... Oh well.. i guess ill take it as a good thing and just have to wait for the 20 week ultrasound like every one else...I guess SIL and friends got it since it was thier 1st time around being pregnant.. aw shucks.. well at least i can try my hand in the "Nub Theory" when i get the ultrasound done on 8/14... ill be 13.5 weeks - too early to tell gender for sure but ive done some research on this nub theory and think it might be fun trying to guess

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:29 AM
I opted not to have the test done, but here's a bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM
I'm curious too.
momofirish3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM
I had tests like that done at 11 weeks, they couldn't tell me gender but this was followed with an u/s. They saw twins but no gender. :)
chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Pretty neat! Never heard of it!
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Harmony Tests can only be used after ten weeks, so if you are at 7 weeks you most likely haven't been tested for it yet. I did not get it done because I didn't feel a need to find out about genetic abnormalities that early. Down the road I was tested, so we would have time to prepare if the babies did have trisomy 21 or 18, but I didn't need to know that early. I also don't find out genders until the birth, so I would have declined on that part.

billiejo79
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I chose to not have any of those tests done. Because they aren't 100% accurte. An there is also a risk of miscarriage. Which women in my family tend to have no problem getting pregnant we just have a hard time carring to term.

gabeybaby07
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:40 AM

i was 9 weeks 5 days when i had the blood work done.. im 10 weeks 2 days today.. But all the info i found on it said it can be done as early as 7 weeks.. And i give you a lot of credit.. i cant wait til birth to findout gender..lol. I suck with surprises. they said that was all the blood work i needed, they took 6 vials..I got an ultrasound scheduled the 8th of august as well.. I dont know.. but the possibility of knowing now is not only intriguing.. but a very exciting prospect

Quoting lenashark:

Harmony Tests can only be used after ten weeks, so if you are at 7 weeks you most likely haven't been tested for it yet. I did not get it done because I didn't feel a need to find out about genetic abnormalities that early. Down the road I was tested, so we would have time to prepare if the babies did have trisomy 21 or 18, but I didn't need to know that early. I also don't find out genders until the birth, so I would have declined on that part.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM
I didn't get it done because I had no need to fear if there were any genetic abnormalities
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM
How does the mother having her blood drawn cause a miscarriage??

Quoting billiejo79:

I chose to not have any of those tests done. Because they aren't 100% accurte. An there is also a risk of miscarriage. Which women in my family tend to have no problem getting pregnant we just have a hard time carring to term.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Why didn't you ask then what tests they were doing?

Quoting gabeybaby07:

i was 9 weeks 5 days when i had the blood work done.. im 10 weeks 2 days today.. But all the info i found on it said it can be done as early as 7 weeks.. And i give you a lot of credit.. i cant wait til birth to findout gender..lol. I suck with surprises. they said that was all the blood work i needed, they took 6 vials..I got an ultrasound scheduled the 8th of august as well.. I dont know.. but the possibility of knowing now is not only intriguing.. but a very exciting prospect

Quoting lenashark:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)